Volleyball splits games this weekend with Senior Night win

Volleyball is a game created out of momentum, and the Falcons ran out of it in the fifth set against Ohio University as they fell Saturday, 3 sets to 2.

After losing the first set, the Falcons came back to win the next two sets to go into the fourth set with a one set lead. In the third set, BG led by seven points. After a few errors and productive attacks by OU, the Falcons were able to hold on to the third set, winning 28-26.

BG lost the fifth set 15-11.

“This was definitely a good battle,” said outside hitter Lindsey Butterfield. “It hurts to lose, especially to Ohio on our home court when they are leading the conference.”

Middle Kaitlyn Skinner said the team thrives off of momentum swings.

“Momentum swings, good or bad, are huge,” she said. “When you get good ones, you really have to ride them.”

The Falcons defeated Kent State University the following night, 3 sets to 1.

BG’s victory completed a season sweep of Kent and its sixth consecutive win against the Golden Flashes. The Falcons hit a season-high .301 as they honored seniors Paige Penrod, Ashley Dunn, Libby Dachenhaus, Danielle Tonyan, Laura Avila, Skinner and Butterfied.

“Senior night’s an emotional night; it’s a bittersweet night,” said coach Danijela Tomic. “I’m so happy for them, these seven seniors to win their last match in this building. It was a great night.”

The Falcons had five players with at least 10 kills, and Tonyan led the team with 15 kills on the night.

Setter Avila had no trouble distributing the ball to her attackers and collected 44 assists.

The Falcons now have a Mid-American Conference record of 9-5 and an overall record of 13-13.

This was the last home stand for the Falcon volleyball team, and they have two more games next week at the University of Akron and the University of Buffalo before heading to the MAC tournament.

Tomic said she thinks the KSU game proves the team is headed in the right direction.

“I think we are peaking at the right time,” she said. “We are playing better and better. Hopefully we can continue this momentum and be ready [for the tournament].”