City leads coalition against amendment

The city will be launching a coalition against the fracking amendment on the city charter, which will be voted on during the Nov. 5 election.

Led by Mayor Richard Edwards, the Bowling Green Coalition for Protecting the City Charter aims at educating the community about the effects the amendment could have on the city charter. The coalition will consist of city council members, business leaders and citizens, Edwards said.

One of Edwards’ concerns are the “two documents aren’t related in any way.”

The city charter is a document outlines how the city government functions, while the fracking amendment bans hydraulic fracturing in the city and the use and creation of fossil fuel production facilities.

“We want to make people more knowledgeable about the impact [the amendment] would have on utilities,” Edwards said. It has potential for unintended consequences.”

Currently, the city gets 75 percent of its energy from fossil fuel sources, Edwards said.

If the amendment were to pass, the Board of Public Utilities estimated a 86 percent increase in electric rates and a 35 percent increase in water and sewer rates.

On Monday, it passed resolution opposing the charter amendment, encouraging people to read the city charter and the proposed amendment, carefully considering “the negative consequences to all residents and [utility] customers,” according to the resolution.

“This is not something to take lightly,” Edwards said.