BG Women’s basketball team tries for three straight wins Thursday

The BG women’s basketball team returns home Wednesday night as it looks to make an impression on its home fans. Before playing at Ohio on Sunday, the Falcons played the previous three games at the Stroh Center. BG was 2-1 in that stretch, but dropped its second game to arch-rival Toledo.

The loss should not be an alarming one for Falcon fans as the team has since rebounded. BG has won its past two games by a margin of 28.5 points per game. The team has done so by holding its opponents to a 27.7 field goal percentage.

Despite the success, it is not a foregone conclusion that the team will be in the running for a Mid-American Conference title when it is all said and done. Some may point to the fact that, while BG is 3-1 in conference play, the team’s only wins have come against teams with a below .500 record.

The team’s latest opponent, Ohio, had yet to win a conference game while in the game before it took on a Ball State team that was 5-10 on the year. At the peak of these criticisms is the notion that the toughest battles have yet to be fought, said Head Coach Jennifer Roos.

If the Falcons win those two games, they will be first in the MAC East. Each game will help prepare the team for the next game. The next game the Falcons play will be against Central Michigan on Feb. 3. The Central Michigan Chippewas are currently the only undefeated team in conference play.

The Falcons tip-off against the Miami Redhawks at the Stroh Center Thursday at 7 p.m.