Cookie stores split customers

Despite the possibility of new competition in town, The Cookie Jar is still busy filling cookie orders.

Insomnia Cookies, which has locations across the country, opened in Bowling Green last fall.

The businesses both serve hot cookies and deliver in town and both have been doing well.

“Insomnia Cookies is very happy with the Bowling Green/BGSU store’s performance,” said Renee Sarnecky, Insomnia Cookies marketing manager in an email. “Over the last few months, we have seen the in-store traffic and delivery business grow dramatically.”

Maureen Lanigan, co-owner of The Cookie Jar, said that business has picked up for her store as well.

“There is always going to be competition when we both deliver hot cookies,” Lanigan said. “I think the competition has been great for us.”

Lanigan believes the extra publicity for both businesses has helped her store gain more business.

“We have been very busy this year,” Lanigan said. “I think [Insomnia Cookies] got people talking about cookies again.”

The Cookie Jar has even extended its hours to include Tuesdays, however, Lanigan said the extension has nothing to do with the opening of Insomnia Cookies.

“A lot of people stay in and want cookies on Tuesday nights,” Lanigan said. “We have been having people ask on Facebook and Twitter, so we decided to open on Tuesdays.”

Both businesses offer a wide variety of cookies for customers to choose from.

Insomnia Cookies offers standard cookies, such as chocolate chunk, sugar, oatmeal raisin, snicker doodle and peanut butter.

They also offer deluxe cookies, such as triple chocolate chunk and smores deluxe. Ice cream, brownies and cookie cakes are also available.

While Insomnia Cookies has more traditional cookie flavors, The Cookie Jar has over 300 cookie recipes and has a different cookie special each day of the month.

“[Customers] have something different to look up to every day of the month,” Lanigan said.

Senior Ashley Stepec said she likes Insomnia Cookies because there are many locations across the country.

“I think one of my favorite things about Insomnia is that there are so many locations,” Stepec said. “Whether I am with friends at Purdue, Ohio State or right here in BG, we can all agree on Insomnia because it is a common treat we all know and enjoy.”

However, some students disagree and support The Cookie Jar because it is a local business.

“I prefer Cookie Jar,” sophomore Max Schmaren said. “I think the quality is better and I would rather support it because it is a local business, unlike Insomnia.”

Insomnia Cookie Hours:

Store Hours: 1 p.m. to 3 a.m.

Delivery Hours: 6 p.m. to 3 a.m.

The Cookie Jar Hours:

Tuesday – Friday: 10 a.m. to midnight

Saturday – Sunday: noon to midnight