Tuition rises 2 percent, smoking ban in 2014

Aerial+View
Aerial View

At Friday’s Board of Trustees meeting the board approved a raise on tuition for the 2013-2014 academic year.

A 2 percent raise was approved for both the main campus and the Firelands Campus.

Main campus full time in-state undergraduate students tuition will increase $7.60 per credit hour, a $91.20 increase in tuition each semester, said Sherri Stoll, the Chief Financial Officer.

Firelands students tuition will increase $3.85 per credit hour, an increase of $46.20 per semester for a full time student.

Out of state students and graduate students will not have a tuition increase, Stoll said.

Students in the Community College of the Air Force and in the UT-MUO nursing program will not have an increase in tuition, she said.

All students will receive a $15 increase in general fees for main campus, which is a $1.25 increase per credit hour for a full time student.

Firelands students general fees will increase $2.40, a $.20 per credit hour increase for a full time student.

The board approved the infrastructure engineering renovations to take place inside Mosley Hall, South Hall, Hanna hall and University Hall.

Some of the infrastructures currently in the buildings by current codes “do not exist,” Stoll said.

Before approving it the board discussed if it was worth the money to attempt to save the buildings.

David Levey, a member of the board said that the buildings are truly what make the University.

“This is the heart and soul of the school, ground zero, the greatest buildings we have,” he said.

“I don’t know how you quantify it,” said Betty Montgomery a member of the board. “It’s like putting a price on your first born to your last born.”

Seeing students smoking on campus is soon to be a thing of the past.

The board also approved a plan to make the University a smoke-free campus.

Jill Carr the senior associate vice-president and the dean of students, said the board began to consider the smoke-free campus after it was recommended by the Ohio Board of Regents that all Ohio public university’s adopt the plan. President Mary Ellen Mazey had the committee revise the University’s smoking policy.

“The campus will be smoke free, with the exception of designated areas,” Carr said.

The designated smoke areas will be located in the parking lots on campus.

Carr said this will keep the University smoke-free but “give people the personal decision to smoke.”

The plan will begin to be implemented for the fall 2013 semester, and it will become an official rule on January 1, 2014.

Electronic cigarettes are the one exception to the smoke-free rule.

“There is no nicotine or carcinogens so they are not considered a part of this policy,” Carr said.

Carr said one of the ways that the ban will be enforced is going to be community involvement.

“If I walked outside and saw you smoking, I would go up to you and say ‘hey we have a new policy.’” she said.

Carr said she is happy that the hard work everyone put into the project paid off.

“We worked very hard and I feel very good,” she said.