Baseball drops three games during weekend

The Falcons were unable to pick up a victory against the Ball State Cardinals in the three-game series this weekend.

The Falcons dropped game one on Friday afternoon to the Cardinals 9-5, then lost a pair of one-run games on Saturday’s double header, 3-2 and 4-3.

In spite of Friday’s loss, the Falcons outhit the Cardinals 15 to 12 in the first game of the series. Seven Falcons had multiple hits, but it was left fielder Jake Thomas who led the charge with three hits.

Jason Link threw four and a third innings and career-high five strikeouts to keep the Falcons in the ball game, but it was not enough to earn the Falcons their first Mid American Conference victory.

On Saturday’s matinee the Falcons’ ninth inning rally fell just one run short. With two outs in the ninth inning trailing 3-0, the orange and brown mustered up a comeback. Senior Jeremy Shay doubled in Greg Baslayga and Brian Bien to make the score 3-2.

With two outs and Shay in scoring position, Losby grounded out to Ball State shortstop Elbert Devarie and the Falcons dropped the first game of the double header 3-2.

Despite the tough loss, Falcon pitcher Mike Frank went seven and two thirds innings allowing three earned runs and striking out four Cardinals. Frank’s 178 career strikeouts put him on eighth for school history.

In the last game of the series, the Falcons comeback would yet again fall short. Bowling Green scored one run in the ninth, but it was not enough as they fell 4-3 to Ball State. For the second time in the same day, the Cardinals starter threw eight plus innings.

Second baseman Logan Walker finished three for four with one RBI. Even though the Falcons outhit the Cardinals two out of three games this weekend, they found themselves on the wrong end of the scoreboard every game.

With a 6-15 record the Falcons are still looking to pick up their first MAC victory this season when they travel to the University of Toledo on Tuesday for a 3 p.m. first pitch.