Falcons go on road for a three-game series against High Point

Bowling Green baseball will hit the road again to play a three-game series against High Point.

The Panthers are carrying an 8-5 under Craig Cozart who is in his sixth season as head coach.

During the road trip the Falcons will play a double header Saturday and one game on Sunday before they head to Florida to play five games that start next Tuesday. Bowling Green will play Illinois State, Yale, Evansville, Bucknell and Maine.

This will be the first time all season that the Falcons will get to play for consecutive days during the week.

“This is huge for us because we get to play on a daily basis,” said head coach Danny Schmitz.

One player who looks to stay on his hitting tear is starting centerfielder Patrick Lancaster. Lancaster leads the Falcons with a .405 batting average, and has a on-base percentage of .463 with a team high three stolen bases. “He’s been the catalyst of our offense … he plays hard all the time,” Schmitz said.

Shortstop Brian Bien has also been ripping the ball as of late. Bien is currently batting .353, and holds the highest slugging percentage of .441, and second on-base percentage behind Lancaster. The Lancaster and Bien duo has a .474 (18-38) batting average when the bases are empty this season.

Despite having a victory, pitcher Mike Frank has had three solid starts.

“I just try and pound the zone, trust my stuff and that I am better than that hitter every time, and try to work and get groundballs. Strikeouts are just pluses,” Frank said.

Frank who leads the Falcons in strikeouts this season, is 10th all-time for career strikeouts with 170, just five short of ninth all-time.

While the Falcons are struggling to pick up a win, they are still in high spirits and have good morale around the locker room.

“The camaraderie and chemistry is very good, we just need to get a win now,” said Schmitz.

The Falcons will have T.J. Losby’s consecutive games-played streak of 118 games on the line during this road trip. Losby is just 10 games behind Kelly Hunt for third all-time in Bowling Green history.

After the series in Florida, Bowling Green while start Mid-American Conference play. The Falcons will open their first home game of the season against Eastern Michigan March 18 at 3 p.m. at Stellar Field.