Tractor pulling championships generate $22 million in economic impact

The 2013 National Tractor Pulling Championships generated $22.456 million in the area between money spent on lodging, fuel, food and drink.

Mike Ott, board president of the Northwest Ohio Tractor Pullers Association, presented an economic impact study of the event during Monday’s city council meeting.

The impact study as conducted by Hedges and Company, which surveyed visitors to the event, which draws in roughly 30,000 people each year.

The championships also brought in roughly $841,000 in local tax revenue for the area and raised $110,000 for the Make A Wish Foundation, Ott said.

The chapter invests roughly $1.7 million for the weekend, contracting 34 local organizations to work the championships or roughly 500 people, he said.

“The success of the event speaks for itself,” said Mike Aspacher, city council president. “The economic impact of on the city and Wood County is astounding.”

The 2014 National Tractor Pulling Championship is slated to start on Aug. 15 and end on Aug. 17, Ott said.