Art Walk features variety of art downtown on Saturday

Bowling Green residents had the opportunity to enjoy a sunny, art-filled Saturday as the city held its 22nd Annual Art Walk downtown to showcase locals’ and students’ works.

Live performances, photography, glass and quilts were part of the wide display of art people experienced.

“There’s a real variety of things to see here; it’s a treat,” said Alec Reeves, a senior at the University.

More than 30 businesses in Bowling Green participated in Art Walk, whether they had demonstrators on the sidewalk or a gallery in their shop.

Some places raised money to donate, such as BroadWing Tattoo, formerly Studio 14, which hosted its second annual Tattoo for a Cause. It offered two designs to promote awareness, a ribbon ($40) and puzzle piece ($50) for citizens to choose from. 100 percent of these proceeds were be donated.

In addition to the Tattoo for a Cause designs, people could get whatever tattoo they wanted and 30 percent of the proceeds would be donated to making care packages for children at Toledo Mercy Hospital, Cleveland Clinic and Nationwide Hospital in Columbus.

“Last year we raised six grand and this year we’re hoping to raise double,” said John Embry, a tattooist and curator of the art gallery at BroadWing. “All the help is really appreciated because it’s going to a good cause and helping a lot of people directly.”

BroadWing Tattoo also featured a gallery with work from the Two-Dimensional Art Association at the University, featuring “the best work they could bring out for the exhibition,” said Embry.

Derek Brennan is a caricature artist who was posted on the sidewalk in front of Jamie’s Seams to Fit on South Main Street. Taking a different approach than BroadWing, Brennan was simply looking for a good way to network, show his work and pay respect to his alma mater.

“I graduated from Bowling Green then started doing caricatures at Cedar Point,” said Brennan.

For him, “business is pretty good” and he said he has drawn about 20 people within the first few hours of Art Walk.

University student Justin Camuso was out enjoying the weather and didn’t know about the event until he got downtown, where he then joined in on viewing some of the local art.

“I like how the community can come together and put this whole thing on,” Camuso said. “We’ve been to a couple places so far and the stuff we’ve seen is pretty cool.”

Grumpy Dave’s offered live music from 12 to 4 p.m. in addition to showing paintings by Craig Blair and exhibiting work from the University Sculpture and Student Glass Art Association. Down the street at Coyote Beads, Stephanie Guittard Scigliano showed jewelry, fiber art and textiles.

An after party was hosted at Grounds for Thought at 6 p.m. to reveal the winner of the People’s Choice Art Awards and a drawing that citizens could enter to win Downtown Dollars.