Falcons find success in Cherry Blossom meet

The Bowling Green State University track and field team came first in four different events in the Ohio Cherry Blossom meet, hosted by Ohio University.

It all started for the Falcons in the shot put event, where freshman Mackenzie Wheat came in first place with a throw of 46-feet-11. This led her to coming up less than a foot shy of hitting an automatic qualifying mark.

Head coach Lou Snelling was impressed with her success this week and hopes to see her continues to go up from here.

“She took a bigger step than last week, she’s getting better and better,” Snelling said. “As a true freshman, she’s doing a fantastic job and hopefully we’re likely to see more from her down the road.”

In the discus throw, senior Tina Perrine continued the momentum for the Falcons as she took first place with 151-feet-2. She also came close to hitting an automark for the Mid-American Conference.

Snelling noticed the improvement in her performance form last week and hopes to see it improve.

“It was a good step from last week, she improved by a couple of meters,” Snelling said. “She usually progresses through the whole season and the difference this time is that she’s starting off a lot further than last year.”

Sophomore Alicia Arnold and redshirt junior Brittany Sinclair came in first for the team by winning the 400 and the 400 hurdles. Arnold ran the best time this year with 56:81 seconds, coming within a second of clinching the MAC automatic qualifying mark.

Snelling said their events were one of the highlights of the day.

“Those were some of the bigger positives of the day, seeing Brit and Alicia,” Snelling said.

Sinclair had a season-best time of 1:03.13 to come in first as well.

Redshirt freshman Kori Reiser came in second in both hammer throw and discus events. She threw a 177-feet-5 in the hammer throw and a 141-feet-6 in the discus, respectively.

Perrine also came within the top five of the hammer throw event, finishing third with a throw of 172-4.

Also in the sprints, junior Natalie Sommerville came in third with a time of 1:04.45. Snelling said that she’s getting closer to beating her personal best.

“She took a second off from last week, she’s getting closer to her personal best … now she has to keep pushing and getting better,” Snelling said.

The Falcons will travel to Cincinnati next for the two-day All-Ohio Championship meet starting on Friday.