Politics not just for men, women must make their voices heard

I’m not a particular fan of labels, but I suppose if you were to categorize me, I tend to lean liberally and vote democratic [though I won’t discredit a conservative view simply because it’s conservative].

I’m not a particular fan of getting into political debates simply because they can turn heated and uncomfortable quite quickly. One of the main reasons I aspire to be a political journalist is because I get to share both opinions without making it messy by including my own.

However, this does not mean I read the papers and online articles without carrying an opinion. I know when to speak up.

I will not hesitate to share my view if I deem the situation appropriate. I am proud of this country and how our constitution enables to me to have a voice.

I am grateful for the women who fought for my right to vote and gave me the hope that one day I will be able work in the government alongside the great men and women of this free country.

I know that being a woman in politics is hard.

Government is and always has been a boy’s game, but I always figured that when I was able to make my debut appearance on the White House lawn, girls would start being drafted first pick.

It never occurred to me that women themselves would succumb to the stereotype of dumb blondes who are more interested in “The View” than the Stock Market.

I never thought that my gender would play such a significant role in the decision for me to open my mouth and talk or to keep it closed.

I recently read an article by Julieanne Smolinski titled, “Don’t Be The Worst: How To Talk Politics With Women”.

At first, I was excited to dive into an article that had promise to be empowering, but I was quickly disgusted as I read the words that encouraged women to go back to their couches watching soap operas with quotes such as, “It’s possible to talk politics with a woman and still get her into the spoon position even if she’s not perfectly aligned with your every ideological curve,” or, “The fact that our country is in rough shape but that others are far worse off is something we can come together on, to laugh at before we have drunk sex.”

Not only was I extremely annoyed; I was offended.

I don’t even care if this is on some sleazy men magazine’s website [written by women, of course. This specific article under the section “Men’s Lives”], the objectification of a woman’s mind portrayed by this article is something I never want to see again.

For decades, women have been silenced, laughed at, mocked and ridiculed by men who have collectively decided that women should keep their mouths closed and their legs open.

What kind of self-respecting woman would want to succumb to the shame of complete and utter mockery that men have placed upon us?

I don’t argue and discuss politics so I can get laid. I argue and discuss politics so I can make a difference and so I can have my voice be heard, like many women in the early 1900’s one day hoped for.

Politics is no longer something men get to discuss behind closed doors.

The ball is in our court now. It’s game time.