BG Volleyball looks to keep MAC hopes alive

The Falcon volleyball team will be on the road Saturday as they face off against Eastern Michigan in the Convocation Center at 7 p.m.

Both teams come into the match looking to improve their standings in the Mid-American Conference as each team has a combined total of three MAC wins.

Despite this, head coach Danijela Tomic believes her team is changing and looks better compared to the start of the season.

“We need to continue focusing on making baby steps,” said Tomic. “We already look like a different team [and] if we fix a few other things, we will be fine.”

The Falcons are currently ranked last in the MAC east at 1-5 and need to capitalize in order to have any chance of contending for the conference championship.

However, coach Tomic is optimistic that the team can play some good volleyball in the remainder of the season.

“We need to come every day to practice and work to get better,” Tomic said. “I am optimistic how this team is developing [and] if we continue doing this we will be playing … good volleyball during the second half of MAC play.”

For the Falcons this is a big matchup in terms of seeding, as with a win they will move to 2-5 whereas Eastern Michigan will also be 2-5 but will drop one spot in the MAC with a loss.

There are currently four teams who are 2-4 in the Mid-American Conference and with a loss from these teams, the Falcons conference championship hopes might still be alive.

But to get to that point the Falcons will have to move on and defeat Eastern Michigan.

The Falcons currently hold the series lead over the Eagles 31-25 but lost the last match against them three sets to two.

The Falcons will look to gain some momentum and win a key game on the road against an 11-9 Eastern Michigan team who has a strong defensive team ranking third in digs while in conference play.

But that does not phase coach Tomic and the Falcons, because they are only worried about themselves.

“We never let it get into our heads,” Tomic said.” “We [will] just keep playing”

They are currently 2-2 with Eastern Michigan dating back to 2010.