Volleyball returns home for two conference games

The BG volleyball team will be back home this weekend as they host two games against Ball State and archrival Toledo.

At this stage in the season, BG is currrently sitting at 4-16 overall with a 1-7 Mid-American Conference record. Whereas Toledo currently sits at 1-20 overall, 0-8 in the conference and Ball State is 12-9 overall with a 6-2 MAC record.

BG is 26-3 overall at home against Toledo and looks to keep that going with a win this weekend. Despite their record against Toledo, head coach Danijela Tomic still sees this as a matchup that will bring bringsome tension.

“The Bowling Green-Toledo rivalry is unique,” said head coach Danijela Tomic. “Although we have had a lot of success through the years against Toledo, the intensity of the match is one that is not easily matched.”

Although the record’s are different for BG and Toledo, they both suffer from the same problems that have made their season much more difficult. Youth. Both teams currently have a combined four seniors and two juniors with the rest being sophomores and freshmen.

Even with both teams having a young and inexperienced team, coach Danijela Tomic believes that this matchup will turn the tide and hopefully provide a spark that will jump start the team.

“This year, the match comes as both teams are looking to build momentum for the second half of conference play,” Tomic said. “That adds to the importance.”

BG will hit the court against Toledo Friday with a 7 p.m. serve.

For Saturday’s game, BG will be facing off against one of the better teams in the MAC as they will face Ball State this Saturday.

For the Cardinals, they are coming into this matchup after sweeping Kent State and getting a season high .358 attack percentage.

With the help of junior setter Jenna Spadafora and junior hitter Hayley Brenson, Ball State looks to get another win. Spadafora is ranked number four in the MAC with 10 assists per game whereas Brenson is second in the MAC with an attack percentage of .368.

Despite the personal accolades, coach Danijela Tomic believes that they can win especially with the help of a good home crowd

“We need our fans and the students to come out Friday night to overflow the Stroh and help us beat our rival,” Tomic said.

BG will hit the court against Ball State on Saturday at 7 p.m.