Artistic based furniture Painted Clovers open

Upcycled and re-purposed furniture is Shaun Holden’s artwork. She is the owner and operator of the shop Painted Clovers at 321 N. Main St.

A lot of the furniture in her shop is painted bright colors with freehand designs. Holden said when she acquires a lot of her furniture it is broken, old or damaged and painting is sometimes the only option.

She stated that new furniture can often times be very expensive so her upcycling is a way to provide cheaper, nice furniture. She said it was very rare that she wouldn’t paint a piece of furniture.

“[Besides,] painted furniture is the new black,” Holden said.

Holden said she also receives some help from her boyfriend who builds some of the artwork. Holden collaborates by making a design and he builds it.

One of her favorite pieces in her store right now, a vibrant green and white bench, is built from two doors and a headboard.

“I just love old doors,” Holden said.

Holden pursued a degree in Painting and Drawing with a focus in 2D art at Bowling Green State University.

“This is my art now,” she said.

Holden said that she originally upcycled furniture for herself. She said that new furniture is often times very expensive and this was her alternative. After encouragement from her friends, Holden started her business out of her garage.

She would work 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and treat her upcycling as her job. While she was working out of her garage, she said that she used to sell her artwork on Facebook.

“I wouldn’t be here if it weren’t for Facebook,” Holden said.

The positive feedback from people pushed her to commit and rent a shop space, she said.

Her decision to open a shop in Bowling Green seemed easy. She said that the areas surrounding the city had shops similar to hers and she was surprised no one had opened a shop in the city yet.

“I know Bowling Green is artistic. The clientele is [here]. It’s just the store wasn’t. I figured the shop would do very well,” she said.

Painted Clovers also sells more than just furniture.

“We sell home accents, paints, jewelry and candles,” Holden said.

The paint is a Nashville-based brand called Shabby Chalked Paints and the jewelry is all done by local artists. Holden said she wanted to keep all local artist work in the shop.

“I want to support the people that support me,” Holden said.

Painted Clovers will be hosting classes for those interested in learning how to paint furniture. According to Holden, the classes will take place in mid-October. For more information, people can like and follow Painted Clovers’ Facebook page.