Bowling Green Hotspots Series: Portage Quarry Recreation Club

On a hot summer day, the Portage Quarry Recreation Club, located on Dixie Highway just one mile south of Bowling Green, is the perfect place for a relaxing, fun-filled day.

It has always been one of my favorite places to go during the summer months. The grounds include volleyball courts, campsites, picnic areas and a shelter house.

Upon arrival, convenient parking takes guests right to the water’s edge.

The spacious beach allows visitors a place to set up lounge chairs, beach games and coolers.

A roped off wading area of shallow water provides ideal swimming opportunities for children or beginning swimmers. Certified life guards monitor the swim area.

Past the wading area awaits clear blue water of depths up to 70 feet, drawing snorkelers, scuba divers and experienced swimmers.

Additional highlights of the facility include a dive platform, rafts and slides.

There are shady spots throughout the grounds, which have grills and picnic tables available. Campsites are located at the end of the grounds, where visitors can spend a night or enjoy an extended stay.

For the more adventurous types, scuba diving is offered. Time with certified scuba instructors is available to train the novice diver. A dive shop offers equipment rentals, including air, tanks, and snorkeling gear. The depths of the quarry offer an array of interesting wreckage sites for divers to explore, including boats, a semi truck trailer, an airplane and a silo.

If you are looking for something fun to do this summer, there are a number of activities at the Portage Quarry Recreation Club. Spend the day swimming with friends in the quarry, spend the night on the camp grounds, or even explore the deep water wreckage as a certified diver.

Their website offers more details including admission fees and reservations.