Bowling Green City Council Candidates

Five of seven seats on council are up for election this November. Four of those seats have only the incumbent running so far. The deadline for party candidates to file to run has passed, but independent candidates may still join the race.

1st Ward

Daniel Gordon (D)

Gordon is in his second two-year term. He chairs the Community Improvement Committee.

Gordon is running as an example to other young people to show that they “have much greater political agency and efficacy than we are conditioned to believe,” Gordon wrote in an email. He was heavily involved in creating Ridge Park and the City-University Relations Commission and hopes to improve transportation, including adding bicycle lanes.

2nd Ward

John Zanfardino (D)

Zanfardino is serving his fifth two-year term. He is the chair of the Transportation and Safety Committee. The last time he was opposed in the election was 2009. He has received more than 60 percent of the vote both times he has been opposed.

Zanfardino was not reached for comment.

Lyndon Adanich (R)

Adanich is a junior at the University studying political science and business pre-law. She was recruited to run by Wood County Republican Party chair Matt Reger.

“I want to be for the students…. I’m a student. I’m in this boat,” Adanich said. She is concerned about parking issues and would like to see bicycle lanes in the city.

3rd Ward

Michael Aspacher (D)

Aspacher is the council president and is in his third two-year term. He is the chair of the Public Utilities Committee.

As such, he said it’s important to make sure city services continue to be delivered at a high level. He is also interested in improving the East Wooster Street corridor and developing a green space in town.

4th Ward

Theresa Charters-Gavarone (R)

Charters-Gavarone was elected to her first two-year term in 2013. She chairs the Public Lands and Buildings Committee and is running unopposed.

She is looking forward to helping figure out what will happen to the former site of the junior high school. “A lot of people are pretty excited about the possibilities for that space,” Charters-Gavarone said.

At-large

Bruce Jeffers (D)

Jeffers is serving his first four-year term. He chairs the Planning, Zoning and Economic Development Committee. Jeffers is running unopposed this year.

“I’d like to work at it for another four years,” he said. He is looking forward to continuing to work on the city’s land use plan and wants to attract technology-focused companies and professionals to Bowling Green.