Urinetown opens at University

Urinetown
Urinetown

Members of the Bowling Green community filled the Thomas B. and Kathleen M. Donnell Theatre on Wednesday night to watch the final dress rehearsal of the University’s production of “Urinetown.”

The comedic musical is about a future world where private toilets are banned by “The Urine Good Company,” forcing the public to pay to pee.

Jonathan Chambers is the director of the musical and also a professor in the Department of Theatre and Film.

He has been working with other faculty for the past six months on “Urinetown.”

When asked about his inspiration for choosing to cast this production, Chambers said he found a more underlying meaning behind the comedy.

“I’m interested in the play because it’s funny, but I also think it sort of raises some important and interesting things to think about,” Chambers said.

Ecological disaster, corporate greed and the power of the folly of revolution are just a few themes that are preformed to audience members.

Senior David Westmeyer, who was in attendance, was impressed with the underlying message of the musical as well.

“I thought it was super thought-provoking around the balance of greed and freedom, and I thought it was really cool to see how both are necessary,” Westmeyer said. “It was a great metaphor for real life and a lot of the struggles in the decisions we make on a day-to-day basis.”

The musical also features songs with choreographed dances, a level that Chambers has challenged his cast members to achieve.

“I think it’s a good play, it speaks to my 13-year-old self, but also my intellectual self,” Chambers said. “I think it holds together nicely, but beyond that, I think it offers really good challenges for our students.”

The 18 cast members have been rehearsing for the past eight weeks, alongside the backstage crew, stage management staff, costume designers and

lighting designers.

Audience members were impressed with the actors, music, stage props and the way the actors were interacting with the crowd.

Junior Mackenzie Bowen was one of the many students who enjoyed what the production

had to offer.

“For my theater and film class we are required to go to two shows,” Bowen said. “I was on the edge about going, but I’m glad I did; it surpassed my expectations.”

For those interested in attending the musical, shows will be April 23, 24 and 25 at 8 p.m. and April 25 and 26 at 2 p.m. in the Wolfe Center.