Tattoo for a cause

BroadWing Tattoo’s first annual “Tattoos and Welcome Homes” benefit will donate 100 percent of their earnings on Fri, July 3 to the Ann Arbor VA Medical Center.

“So what’s happening is you can get any tattoo you want as long as we can do it in 45 minutes or less. You pay $100 and then at the end of the day we’re going to donate all of that money to Ann Arbor VA hospital,” says Tyler Brott, owner of BroadWing Tattoo.

Individuals are asked to stop in at BroadWing Tattoo to reserve a one-hour time slot for the benefit taking place on July 3. In addition, individuals are asked to provide artwork, drawings, photographs or brief written descriptions of their desired tattoo so their design can be ready on the day of the benefit.

“Tattoos and Welcome Homes” was created as a way for Brott to continue holding an annual benefit. “Tattoo for a Cause”, a benefit where BroadWing Tattoo donated money to a Toledo organization which created care packages for children diagnosed with cancer, was unable to be held this year.

Brott also has a desire to give back to the Ann Arbor VA Medical Center.

“My dad just passed of cancer in December and he got all of his treatment at Ann Arbor,” Brott said.

All of the proceeds from “Tattoos and Welcome Homes” will be donated in the name of David D. Brott, Tyler Brott’s father and a Vietnam War veteran.

“I hope to see every slot filled so we can donate as much money as possible,” Brott says.

The event will also feature catering from Sunset Bistro, owned by Prudence Brott, Tyler Brott’s sister.

Individuals who will have a tattoo done will also receive a t-shirt from the benefit, which Aardvark Screen Printing & Embroidery has agreed to donate money towards a portion of the costs.

All flyers for the event were donated by The Copy Shop, Inc.

Katya Lebedev, a senior at The University and customer of BroadWing Tattoo says the benefit is a good idea.

“People are always like, ‘Oh I think I want a tattoo.’ But they don’t know where to go or when. But with this benefit, it would be nice if it influences people to go there and get a tattoo for a good cause,” Lebedev says. “I think it’s a good idea. It’s for a great cause, so why not?”

Individuals can make a reservation for “Tattoos and Welcome Homes” at BroadWing Tattoo located at 125 N. Main St. in Downtown Bowling Green. Appointments will be every hour, on the hour on Fri, July 3 starting at 10 a.m.