Chicago Blackhawks win Stanley Cup

The Chicago Blackhawks officially ended the Stanley Cup Finals Monday, and took home their third Cup since 2010.

The 2-0 blowout gave the Blackhawks the game they needed to win the series 4-2 against the Tampa Bay Lightning.

A score by Blackhawks defenseman Duncan Keith in the second period gave the team a 1-0 lead over the Lightning.

Right wing Patrick Kane scored the second, and final goal of the game at 14:46 in the third.

Game 6 was the only game in which one of the teams has held a two point lead, as most of the games within the series involved the two being tied at the start of the third.

This is the first time that Chicago has won the Stanley Cup at home since they faced the Toronto Maple Leafs in 1938.

The end of the fifth game of the season brought Chicago fans to their feet as the Blackhawks landed a win over Tampa Bay — opening potential for the Blackhawks to claim the Stanley Cup 2015 title at home.

Game 5 of the series took the Blackhawks to Amalie Arena in Tampa, Florida where they defeated the Lightning in a 2-1 game, allowing them to lead the series 3-2.

Ben Bishop, goaltender for the Lightning, returned to the game after missing Game 4 due to an injury and made 27 saves.

Blackhawks center Antoine Vermette scored two minutes into the third to provide the team with the win over the Lightning.

Vermette did not score during the 19 regular season games for the Blackhawks, but this was his fourth playoff goal and second goal in the series.

Though the Stanley Cup Finals are a place for teams to face off in competition, there is nothing stopping players from acknowledging one another’s skill levels.

“You can see how close these two teams are,” Ryan Callahan, forward for the Lightning said in an interview with Corey Masisak. “They’re a very good team over there, and we still feel really good about ourselves. The margin for error is so small in these games. That’s the type of hockey you expect at this time of year.”

Blackhawk left wing Patrick Sharp made the first goal of the game during the first period.

During the second period, center Valtteri Filppula scored for the Lightning, bringing the game to a 1-1 tie before Vermette slammed the puck in during the third.

“I’m sure it will get crazy over the next two days in town,” Chicago Blackhawks coach John Quenneville said in an interview with Masisak. “The buzz will be off the charts. [I’m looking] forward to it.”

Wednesday, June 10 left the Blackhawks fighting the Lightning to even the series in Game 4.

Bishop was out with an injury, so Tampa Bay put in rookie Andrei Vasilevskiy who made the team proud by making 17 saves, only letting two goals go through.

“If you tell me we’re going to come in and he’s going to give up two goals, that’s a hell of a job in my book,” Lightning coach Jon Cooper told Masisak. “He showed the pinnacle of the sport, that he can play. That a pretty big achievement for a 20-year-old.”

Corey Crawford made 24 saves for the Blackhawks including a shot from Steven Stamkos, the captain of the Lightning, near the game’s final minute.

Blackhawk center Jonathan Toews made the first goal of the game in the second period, followed shortly by a goal from Lightning center Alex Killorn.

Blackhawk left wing Brandon Saad scored the final goal of the game in the third period, earning the Blackhawks a 2-1 victory to tie the series 2-2 at Game 4.

Monday, June 8 brought the Blackhawks and the Lightning once more for a faceoff for Game 3 of the series.

Lightning right wing Ryan Callahan scored early in the first for his team and nearly 10 minutes later, Blackhawks center Brad Richards followed up to tie the score in the first.

The second period passed without a single shot managing to pass the goaltenders for either team, resulting in a 1-1 tie at the start of the third.

The third started and 4:14 in, Saad charged in, scoring a second goal for Chicago.

Only 13 seconds passed before Lightning left wing Ondrej Palat retaliated, adding another goal to the Lightning scoreboard.

In the last five minutes of the third, the Lightning found the pace they needed and center Cedric Paquette drove the puck past the goal line when Blackhawks goaltender Corey Crawford failed to cover it.

“It’s frustrating,” Blackhawks captain Jonathan Toews told Masisak during an interview after the loss. “A lot of things we did today gave us the feeling we were going to come out on top with the effort we gave. It’s just a couple of little bad habits that ended up hurting us.”

Game 3 resulted in a 2-1 series lead for the Lightning after the game ended with a final score of 3-2.

Jun 6 featured Game 2 of the Stanley Cup Finals at Amalie Arena.

Paquette opened the game with the first goal for the Lightning near 13 minutes in the first period while assisted by Callahan and defenseman Victor Hedman.

Just over three minutes into the second, the Lightning found themselves facing a highly active offense for the Blackhawks as two goals were made within two minutes of each other.

The first done by right wing Andrew Shaw, assisted by center Marcus Kruger and left wing Andrew Desjardins.

The second was made by center Teuvo Teravainen, assisted by right wing Marian Hossa and left wing Patrick Sharp.

Lightning offense quickly stepped up their game, returning the puck behind the goal line twice before the end of the second period.

Lightning right wing Nikita Kucherov made the first successful attack alongside defensemen Jason Garrison and Braydon Coburn and shot the puck through at 6:52.

At 13:58, center Tyler Johnson scored with the assistance of Kucherov.

During the third period, each team made a goal. For the Blackhawks was defenseman Brent Seabrooke, assisted by Toews and defenseman Johnny Oduya.

For the Lightning, was Garrison, supported by Hedman and Callahan, bringing the game to an end with a 3-4 win for the Lightning, tying the series 1-1.

Unlike Game 2, Game 1 was not home to many scores this series.

The first period held little action towards the goals as Killorn scored the only goal at 4:31 with assistance from defenseman Anton Stralman and Filppula for the Lightning.

No goals were made during the second period of the game.

The third period however saw two goals made — each for the Blackhawks.

The Blackhawks scored first with Teravainen at 13:28 who was assisted by Keith and Shaw.

Shortly thereafter, at 15:26, Vermette saw his chance to slam the puck through, earning his first goal in the series and third playoff goal. He was assisted by Teravainen.

The match ended with a 2-1 score in favor of the Blackhawks, providing them with an early advantage to the series with a 1-0 lead.