BG baseball takes two of three games from Eastern Kentucky

Jake Thomas, BG outfielder, dives back into first base during the Falcons’ 24-11 victory against Malone earlier this season.

While the BG baseball team is still looking for a way to stabilize its starting rotation, it seems to have things figured out on the offensive side of things.

After putting up 24 runs and a school-record 30 hits Wednesday against Malone, the Falcons offensive explosion continued into the weekend, as BG took two of three games from Eastern Kentucky.

Even in dropping the first game to the Colonels, the Falcons still put up eight runs in a 10-8 loss.

Cody Apthorpe’s early season struggles continued, as he allowed seven runs on seven hits and a walk in 2 1/3 innings. He retired fewer than half, 7-of-15, of the batters he faced.

Jeremy Shay, who had two hits and three RBI, drove the Falcons’ offense. Jake Thomas was 1-for-4 with a walk and two runs scored at the top of the Falcons’ lineup, and Logan Walker was 2-for-2 with two runs scored.

In Saturday’s game, the Falcons came out early and often, scoring 14 runs in the third inning en route to a 22-2 victory.

Andrew Kubuski hit his first two home runs of the season and had a career-high seven RBI, and Ethan McKenney threw his second complete game of the season, a nine-inning gem where he allowed two runs on five hits and three walks, striking out eight.

It was McKenney’s second complete game and first victory of the season. He is the only BG pitcher to have gone the distance this season.

Drew Kuns was also strong in the game, going 3-for-4 with five RBI and three runs scored.

Seven Falcons had multi-hit games, while Shay, Brandon Howard, T.J. Losby, Kuns and Walker each scored three runs. Losby added three RBI, and Walker drove in two runs.

In Sunday’s rubber match, an 8-4 BG victory Andrew Lacinak started the game, but did not last long. He threw 3 2/3 innings, allowing two runs on four hits and three walks.

He was replaced by Jason Link, who continued his early-season successes by throwing 2 2/3 strong innings, only running into a bit of trouble in the eighth, where he allowed two runs — one earned.

BG took a 5-4 lead into the top of the ninth inning, where it received three insurance runs courtesy of RBI hits from Walker and Kubuski, and a bases loaded walk by Brian Bien.

Nick Bruns made things interesting in the ninth, loading the bases, but got a flyout to end the game and pick up his second save of the season. He pitched two innings, allowing a hit and striking out three, but he hit three batters.

BG will be back in action Wednesday, where it takes on Shawnee State at 3 p.m. at home.