Alumnus named director of United Way in Wood County

The United Way of Greater Toledo has appointed a new director in Wood County.

Nicholas Kulik, a resident of Bowling Green and an alumnus of the University, is now in charge of the United Way operations in Wood County.

While at the University, Kulik majored in journalism and served as the philanthropy chairperson of Pi Kappa Phi. He also served in the AmeriCorps program, where he managed after-school events for Bowing Green Teen Central, according to a press release sent out by Keli Kreps, marketing manager for the United Way of Greater Toledo.

Before he became the new director, the United Way hired Kulik as a development officer, where he managed a portfolio of more than 500 accounts while he supervised United Way’s loaned executive team.

His other experience includes work with the Multiple Sclerosis Society of Northwest Ohio and Push America in Charlotte, N.C.

Kulik said he is adjusting to the new position of director.

“I have to wear a lot of different hats, because it’s a small office,” Kulik said. “I am the only full-time staff person right now in Wood County.”

Kulik said his roles as director will entail working with other nonprofits for “community impact,” marketing work and fundraising.

However, talking to people and getting a sense of what Wood County needs as a community is top priority right now, Kulik said.

“With a small shop, we need to manage our time well and work together so that all our projects move forward,” he said. “I want to make sure nothing gets left on the back burner.”

While no official partnerships have been made, Kulik listed some organizations he hopes will work with the United Way in the future. The exchange club at the University, Kiwanis Club, Bowling Green Chamber of Commerce a nd the Northwest Ohio Association of Fundraising Professionals were organizations that Kulik named.

Atonn Smeltzer, administrative assistant and communications and IT manager at the Bowling Green Chamber of Commerce, said he hopes the United Way will work with the Chamber of Commerce in the future.

“The United Way has a great reputation for volunteerism and community service, which would make them an ideal partner for almost any community-based initiative,” Smeltzer said. “They also have access to a large workforce of volunteers, so they could potentially bring a lot of hard-working people to help with any such event.”

Smeltzer said the Bowling Green 4th of July fireworks display and the holiday parade are two events the Chamber of Commerce and the United Way could partner on.

Theresa Kelso, who works in donor services and administration at the United Way in Wood County, said working with Kulik has been very enjoyable.

“He brings a lot of energy to the position,” Kelso said. “And a lot of enthusiasm.”

Kelso talked about what Kulik has been doing since appointed to the director position.

“He has been spending quite a bit of time meeting with volunteers and community members to talk about their hopes and aspirations for the county,” Kelso said. “He is connected to our community and cares about what happens in Wood County.”