Utilize prayer to combat personal problems

Prayer is our way of communicating with God and talking with Him about our lives.

At the moment Jesus died on the cross, the Bible says the curtain for the Holy of Holies split. Men could have a real experience with God in the Holy of Holies, but they purified themselves thoroughly before they could encounter the strong Spirit.

The split of the curtain symbolizes that we can now go to God with anything, regardless of the shape we’re in.

When I was younger, I used to think of prayer as making a phone call to heaven. Now, I envision God’s presence around me as I close my eyes and reconcile with Him.

Jesus teaches how to pray in the Gospels with the Lord’s Prayer, which you can simplify into the acronym A.C.T.S.

“A” is for Adoration, which is appreciating God’s awesomeness.

“C” is for Confessing the sins of our life so God can forgive us.

“T” is for Thanksgiving, which is thanking God for all the fulfillment and blessings in our lives.

“S” is for Supplication, which means “crying out” to God for needs in our lives.

I have had a much better experience organizing my thoughts using A.C.T.S. as a guideline when I pray.

Another thing I remember is God will move in our lives on His time. He does listen to us, but He operates much differently than the way we’re accustomed to.

I have seen God move in my life for the things I pray for.

For example, I prayed for my sister because she was having a rough time adjusting to college at Wright State University a few months ago.

When I spoke to her during spring break, she told me she’s finally found good friends to hang with (which I could tell by all the smiles in several Facebook photos).

She also finished her winter quarter with a 4.0. Amen!

I also pray for people I’m extremely concerned about.

I pray for an awesome photographer. I find the person truly inspirational, but don’t see the person as often as I used to.

I have prayed for the peace of a small group of friends.

My relationship with them seems strained, but if it’s meant to be, God will allow it to be healthy.

I pray for my family.

We went to our home church for a 10-year span, which ended four years ago, and we haven’t found a new church.

I’ve gained so much from actively seeking God and Biblical teachings this semester that I don’t want my family to miss out on something spiritually extraordinary.

I also pray for my enemies. This is important, as Jesus instructed us, because, even as difficult as it seems, we’re supposed to love those who offend or wound us.

I don’t entirely see one person as an enemy, but we have had disagreements recently.

I pray for that person, who I’ve heard is possibly going through emotional issues right now.

I can also relate with this person because I’ve struggled with managing my emotions, whether it be episodes of rage, sadness, loneliness or depression.

I’ve prayed to forgive another person whom I felt offended me this past year.

I turned sour towards this person when I held a continual grudge this past summer and when I started seeing the person again this school year.

But, after praying continuously for God to change my heart, I feel I have now forgiven this person each time our paths cross.

I also believe in the power of praying in unity with other people. I believe God will definitely hear us when there are 10 people speaking to Him, compared to just one.

Just about every night when my head’s resting on the pillow, I pray in confidence meditating on all I have told you.

Respond to Phillip at