Spiritual beliefs can have psychological pros, cons

When Kenneth Pargament decided to start researching psychology and religion, he did not receive the most support from the psychological community.

“The field tended to take a negative view toward religiousness,” Pargament said. “[Sigmund] Freud, for instance, talked about religion as a defense against anxiety. Religion was often linked in the minds of many people in mental health to psychopathology, but that picture has changed in the last 25 years. The research has shown some pretty consistent links between religious involvement and health and well-being.”

Pargament, a professor in the Department of Psychology, researches the aspects of religion and spirituality that can be helpful as well as harmful to people.

“We think of religion and spirituality as a double-edged sword,” he said.

Carney Strange, a professor of student affairs in the College of Education and Human Development, teaches a course about the “spiritual dimensions of student development.”

This involves looking at questions of purpose students have during college and whether their viewpoints change over time regarding these questions. These can include wondering about job prospects, whether people depend on the student and whether the student is a worthy human being.

“I teach in a graduate program where people are working on master’s [degrees] to become student administrators,” Strange said. “My goal is to help them understand this dimension of students as they go through the college experience.”

The idea of an afterlife can often help answer questions like these, Pargament said.

“I think beliefs in the afterlife also respond to the basic need for transcendence and continuity in life, the need to feel that our lives matter,” he said.

Studies, particularly some the Department of Psychology has coordinated, show people often turn to faith during times of stress, such as illnesses, mortality and frailty, Pargament said.

“Generally, I think religion is especially well-designed to help people come to terms with their finitude, their limitations [and] the fact we can’t control everything,” he said.

Sammy Hitchcock, a junior in the SEARCH Community that Strange advises, said her Christian faith helps her through all aspects of her life, such as school.

“I have to have faith that I am doing as much as I can to pass my classes or pass a test,” Hitchcock said. “If I don’t [pass], then I have faith that it is going to work out regardless.”

Hitchcock said she prays not only when she is stressed, but also when she is happy.

“I don’t really pick and choose which parts I apply faith to,” she said.

Nonetheless, Hitchcock said she understands religion is not going to solve all of her day-to-day problems.

“People expect that God or spirituality and whatever they believe in is going to be given to them because they ask for it,” she said. “That goes back to the grand scheme of things where if one door closes, another one opens.”

When it comes to scientifically proving the existence of a deity, Pargament said it is wise to take an agnostic point of view.

“We can know [God exists] as individuals, we can have our own personal belief systems and affiliations, but as scientists we have no device to measure God’s existence … [or] nonexistence,” he said. “There is no ‘God-ma-tron’ out there.”

When it comes to atheists and agnostics, Pargament said there are different kinds, with some people not caring about the existence of a deity and others expressing passion toward their disbelief.

He pointed out that all people put faith into some kind of personal belief and into things that cannot be measured by sight.

“I don’t think so much the issue is faith versus the lack of faith,” he said. “I think the critical thing is, ‘what do we put our faith in?'”