Movie Review: Here Comes The Boom

Grade: B

“Here Comes the Boom” is not your average fighter movie; it ties in the always popular “save the music” theme.

It’s a PG movie with more blood and punches thrown than expected for that rating.

“Here Comes the Boom” stars Kevin James, as Scott Voss, a high school biology teacher who becomes a MMA cage fighter to raise $48,000 in order to save the school’s music program and his colleague, Marty’s, (Henry Winkler) job.

When Principal Becher (Greg Germann) announces major budget cuts, all extracurricular activities must be cut, putting music teacher Marty’s job in jeopardy. Scott stepped in and said he would raise the money to keep the music program in the school.

In an attempt to raise money, Scott begins teaching night classes to immigrants who want to become American citizens. Through the classes, Scott meets Niko (Bas Rutten) a former MMA fighter from Holland.

Niko spends his days teaching various classes at a local gym and soon begins training Scott once he discovers he can make money winning or losing a cage fight.

Scott enters his first match and of course, loses.

As time goes on, Scott’s coaching team grows and he progresses as a fighter.

The movie had great acting and the fight scenes were filmed in a way that you almost felt you were right there.

However, the movie had a few flaws: Kevin James as a cage fighter was not the most convincing casting choice.

Seeing James acting a role that had a more “serious” goal to reach was a change from his usual style of movie.

A second flaw is the fact that a love interest was added.

Scott’s love interest, Bella (Salma Hayek), added nothing to the movie; she was an unnecessary addition. Whenever she popped up, the movie seemed to drag on a bit. The same goes for a small side story involving Scott’s brother, Eric (Gary Valentine).

Overall it was a good movie, having plenty of laughs and just enough suspense.

I suggest going out and seeing it.