Real world offers challenges, opportunities

I am excited and terrified to grow up.

Not only will I be 21 years old this Sunday, but I will only have a year-and-a-half left of school before I graduate and duke it out in the real world.

I bet you seniors are huffing at that statement because you’re even closer.

The thing is, these days are going by faster and faster and I feel more anxious and uncertain about my future.

I’m applying for internships to places I never thought I’d see myself being at. One in Columbus, one in Louisville and probably some other random place that pops up.

If I get one of those internships, I’ll be in a completely alien environment and have to fend for myself; something that excites and terrifies me.

This summer I stayed here in Bowling Green to work on the summer paper, intern at a local workplace psychology organization and write some stories for the Sentinel-Tribune. But that wasn’t scary at all.

I know this city and I was still with my friends.

Columbus and Louisville are different beasts.

I would be on my own; something I have fantasized and dreamed about for about a year.

But how would I adapt? Being thrown into a new environment and told to report on it like I’ve lived there for a while?

While scary, I would love to welcome that challenge.

It gives me a thrill to think about such things because I will have to go where the jobs are, so I better just dive in head first now and I can’t be picky.

My buddy Max has been there to push me to apply for internships in different places.

He helped me decide to apply for The Columbus Dispatch and Courier-Journal in Louisville as well as other places, ignoring my “I don’t want to live there” bickering.

Like he told me, it’s a good experience and it will look good on your resume (and it also pays).

I can’t argue with that and I can’t be complacent with a backup plan.

So I will throw myself out there and apply to Godknowswhereville and do all I can to ensure I get something, as should you.

Why settle when all you have to do is push yourself a little bit to potentially gain a better internship or what have you?

Seems like a good investment with little risk and a big reward.

Now excuse me while I preen my cover letter, fix the spelling mistakes on my resume and order some stamps.

Respond to Alex at