Falcon 4 News: Week of September 28

Gabby Petito homicide investigation continues

Homicide was ruled the cause of death of 22-year-old social media influence Gabby Petito. 

The search continues across the nation as authorities look for person-of-interest and finance of Petito, Brian Laundrie.

Petito and Laundrie departed from Blue Point, New York for their westward-bound road trip on July 2. Things appeared normal until Petito’s family stopped receiving contact with her after Aug. 30. Laundrie then returned home without his partner on Sept. 1.

After his unwillingness to cooperate with the police and the circumstances in which he returned home alone, Laundrie was named a main suspect.

Days after Laundrie was named a suspect, officials recovered a body in western Wyoming that was identified as Petito on Sept. 19.

On Sept. 26, family and friends gathered to mourn at a service held in Petito’s honor. 

Ohio universities enforcing vaccine requirements 

Across the state, Ohio universities are creating COVID-19 vaccine requirements for faculty and students.

Ohio State University set the precedent for the rest of the state when they announced their decision for student and faculty vaccine requirements in late Aug. OSU, along with 22 other institutions, have now established deadlines for full vaccination and vaccine exemptions.

In early September, BGSU announced their own plan to require vaccinations while allowing certain exemptions.

Nov. 1 is the deadline for BGSU students to submit requests for exemption. Without an exemption, Nov. 29 is the deadline to submit proof of full vaccination to Med+Proctor through MyBGSU.

Border Patrol horseback banned 

U.S. Border Patrol has suspended using agents on horseback indefinitely after footage of officers clashing with Haitian refugees has sparked outrage.

The images captured depict the horse patrol’s treatment of refugees as they tried to cross the Rio Grande in Del Rio, Texas.

While it is unclear whether or not the officers involved broke procedure, lawmakers have related this image of their actions to a representation of racial disparity.

President Biden has declared that the incident was “horrible,” and it was later confirmed that the administration has ended the use of horse patrols, for now.

Officials preparing for potential government shutdown Oct. 1 

The White House has warned government agencies to prepare for a potential shutdown as Congress struggles to pass funding before the deadline on Sept. 30.

Government shutdowns in the United States occur when there is a failure to pass funding legislation to finance the government for its next fiscal year.

Two bills proposing a $3.5 trillion allotment have been circulating between the House and Senate since mid-August.

Although Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi vowed that Congress will do everything they can do to maintain current funding levels, critics doubt that a resolution will be reached in time.