BGSU Takes Action Following Perry High School Shooting

Iowa’s Perry High School is mourning the loss of a sixth grader along with seven wounded individuals after gunfire broke out on Jan. 4 , according to a January 2024 CNN article. The tragedy of school shootings increasingly heightens awareness and vigilance in schools and on college campuses.

Bowling Green State University (BGSU) faculty, staff and students are working hand-in-hand with each other to help prevent this type of situation from happening on their campus.

According to Everytown for Gun Safety, there were an estimated 136 incidents in the United States involving gunfire on school grounds in 2023. Tragically, with the 136 incidents,there were 41 deaths and 93 injuries within the United States.

In April 2021, there were two incidents on BGSU’s campus where guns were present.BGSU Campus Police Chief, Michael Campbell, commented on how they handled these situations.

“BGSU is a public space,” Chief Campbell said. “The law allows people to openly carry a firearm in public space. Where it differs a little is the law also says you can’t carry concealed on university campuses in Ohio.”

While the individuals who were carrying weapons oncampus were simply just exercising their rights, students were still concerned for their own safety. BGSU proceeded to send a message out via Twitter stating that the activity was not unlawful and that there was no longer a threat to the students.

BGSU has a very detailed conceal-and-carry policy in practice on university grounds and can be found on the university’s website.

“The policy actually restricts firearms,” Campbell said. If you’re a faculty, staff or students, you could legally carry an open firearm, but you would be violating policy.”

While BGSU has a policy that prohibits conceal and carry oncampus, it does allow for the practice and use of weapons in controlled environments. The BGSU Rifle Club say they try to create a sense of community around rifle shooting. They teach their members about gun safety and their goal is to create a safe environment for both new and experienced rifle shooters. Sean Brunner, BGSU Rifle Club president, was able to offer insight as to what the club teaches its members when it comes to gun safety.

“Before we allow anyone to shoot, we have our instructors go over how to handle the firearms, how to make sure they’re loaded and how to prepare for fire,” stated Brunner. They’re all NRAcertified safety instructors. They take the jobs very seriously.

While many believe exercising their Second Amendment right is crucial, it is also acknowledged it contributes significantly to the incidence of gun violence in schools.

Sophomore media production major, Brynn Drabek, was not familiar with BGSU’s conceal-and-carry policy, but did acknowledge BGSU has a lot of security on its campus. Shewas able to express her concerns about the frequent news articles being posted revolving around school shootings.

“It honestly makes me feel sad and scared for my own safety at school,” stated Drabek. “Anything could happen at anytime.”

She also stated she approves of conceal-and-carry because it can be beneficial in dangerous situations.

Most indicators point to the notion that the frequency of school shootings is not likely to decrease. However, BGSU’s conceal-and-carry policy alongside the security on campus gives many students the satisfaction that they are safe on school grounds.