Falcon 4 News: Week of February 21

Falcon 4 News Graphic

Local

BGSU hosts anti-hazing

This August, BGSU will be hosting their first ever Anti-Hazing Summit for all K-12 and college professionals from the state of Ohio. The University is working with the Ohio Department of Higher Education and this event will be free for educators covering a variety of topics, such as prevention education and strategies to eliminate hazing in schools. According to an article in the Sentinel-Tribune, BGSU has been dedicated to anti-hazing efforts after the death of student Stone Foltz last spring.

BG algae blooms

Bowling Green is dedicated to keeping harmful algae blooms out of the city’s water and is preparing to spend $288,288 this year toward replacing the water treatment plant’s reverse osmosis membranes. These membranes are critical for providing the barrier for removing contaminants and need to be replaced every five years. Director of the City’s Public Utilities Brian O’Connell said, “The new membranes are more reliable,” according to an article in the BG Independent News.

BGSU Firefly Nights

After a two-year break, the City of Bowling Green is bringing back the Firefly Nights festival this summer on Main Street in June, July and August. The pandemic caused this festival to temporarily shut down, but it is back this year with free children’s activities, kid zones, local vendors, restaurants and more, according to an article in the Sentinel-Tribune.

Wood County Covid-19 Update

According to statistics from the Wood County Board of Health, there are 14 new Covid-19 cases at BGSU this week and 58 in the city of Bowling Green. From Feb. 9-15, BGSU has reported 21 new cases including two staff members, five faculty, and 14 students. Within Wood County there have been presumed 29,902 people recovered from Covid-19 and 331 deaths. There have been an average of 36 new cases per day.

State

Ohio men awaiting death sentence

Due to a shortage of the correct lethal drugs used in the death sentence, Governor Mike DeWine has delayed the execution of three Ohio men for an additional three years. DeWine has addressed the issue of pharmaceutical supplies being hesitant to create the drug for the safety of other Ohioans. As lethal injection is the only method of the death sentence that Ohio carries out, DeWine is waiting on the pharmaceutical suppliers to provide the needed drugs according to The Columbus Dispatch.

Ukraine natives in Ohio

Some Ukrainian natives living in Ohio are growing worried for their families as tensions rise between Russia and Ukraine. President of the Ukrainian Cultural Association of Central Ohio, Marianna Klochko, has extended family and friends living in Ukraine and is worried about their well-being during this trying time saying “Our pain is mostly psychological, their pain is going to be much more physical, safety, and economic disaster level,” according to NBC4 news.

Covid-19 in Ohio wastewater?

Ohio wastewater treatment facilities have been checking sewage for traces of Covid-19. Dayton, Greene, and Montgomery counties have joined the Ohio Coronavirus Wastewater Monitoring Network in order to check the excrements which can show Covid-19 in both symptomatic and asymptomatic people. According to the Dayton Daily News, these calculations are extremely accurate, when samples of the wastewater are taken automatically, and can predict the week’s cases almost seven days ahead.

Biden’s visit

President Joe Biden visited Lorain, Ohio, this week and as part of the $1 trillion infrastructure deal he signed into law in November, he is planning to invest $1 billion into the Great Lakes. “We are investing like never, ever in history,” he said, and this deal includes funding for a wide range of projects such as dredging polluted sediment and restoring wetlands, according to WBNS-TV.

National

Russia ready for Ukraine invasion

Last week, Russia went back on previous statements saying they would rescind their troops from the Ukrainian border. US leaders believe this is another move toward the inevitable Russian attack of Ukraine according to an article in the AP News. These troops were originally written off as military actions. President Joe Biden had agreed to a meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin but is currently holding off on the advice of his officials as the situation gets more hostile.

Ahmaud Arbery’s killers found guilty 

This week, a jury found the men who killed Ahmaud Arbery to be guilty on all charges. The three men were already facing life sentences in prison, and have now been found guilty of interference with rights and attempted kidnapping. They have 14 days to file any post-trial motions. US Attorney General Merrick Garland was quoted in the CNN live updates saying it was “racism that fueled them” and that Arbery was “targeted, chased, shot and killed” while going for a run. The court adjourned at 10:55 a.m. Tuesday morning. 

Pickleball sweeping the nation

Pickleball is currently one of America’s fastest-growing sports. This quirky game is a mix between tennis, ping-pong and badminton, and has taken a hold of over 4.8 million players. Stu Upson, the first CEO of the USA Pickleball Association said, “We’re still small and scrappy but we’re not so innocent anymore.” The game has created enough traction to now have two national professional tournaments. According to NPR, the number of players has nearly doubled in just five years.

U.S. mask mandates

As U.S Covid-19 cases continue to drop, the White House is considering a new nationwide strategy in order to loosen guidelines and ultimately move past the pandemic. The new idea is to let local communities make mask mandate updates as the numbers in ICU beds change. CDC Director, Rochelle Walensky, said, “We want to give people a break from things like mask wearing when these metrics are better, and then have the ability to reach for them again should things worsen,” according to an article from ABC News.