Campus Brief: Student transportation offered for football games

Students will now be able to hop on a University bus to get to the Doyt for football games, instead of making the long walk from main campus.

The University will run a shuttle from campus to the Doyt two hours before the game until one hour after the game, said Craig Sandlin, coordinator of promotions and fan experience.

The shuttle will run continuously, during the game so students can come late or leave early, Sandlin said.

The service will be offered at all home games this year, and came about due to a survey the athletics department sent to all students this past year.

“One response in terms of football games is that the stadium is too far away from campus,” Sandlin said. “[We decided to] assist them in getting to games.”

The University originally began the shuttle service at basketball games in February, but it didn’t catch on due to timing, Sandlin said.

“This year we’re hoping students will start using it right from the beginning,” he said. “This will make it easier to come to the game.”

Instead of sitting in the residence halls and deciding against it because of the walk, Sandlin said students can now go more easily and without the inconvenience of a long walk.

“This will give them less of a reason to say no to going to a game,” he said.

The shuttle will stop at five locations on campus: Centrex, Conklin, Falcon Heights, Founders and the Wolfe Center. The home opener will take place Saturday against Idaho at 7 p.m.