Campus Brief: University’s fall to spring enrollment numbers appear to be on track

University representatives released its 15-day enrollment numbers at a media briefing Tuesday morning.

All state colleges and universities are required to report enrollment data to the state the 15th day after classes start.

The University’s student population decreased by 0.5 percent from the fall to spring semester, according to the data.

The number of undergraduate students increased by 1.1 percent, while the number of graduate students decreased by 8.9 percent.

“We’re where we expected in terms of undergraduate growth, so we’re happy,” said Albert Colom, vice president for enrollment management. “Our fall-to-spring numbers are similar to where we were last year, retaining about 90 percent of freshmen.”

A majority of the remaining percentage of undergraduate students most likely didn’t return because of financial reasons, he said.

Michael Ogawa, interim dean of the Graduate College, said the decline in graduate enrollment was also expected because of recent funding decreases in the college.

Early indicators, such as orientation and housing applications, signal another large freshmen class next fall, Colom said at the briefing.

“The numbers are actually up from this time last year,” he said. “We’re continuing to aim to improve retention, and we’re happy we’re continuing to grow.”