Last Lecture encourages students to live ‘life of consequence’

Paul Moore, a biology professor and director of the University Honors Program, received a standing ovation following his Last Lecture speech last night in the Union. The speech was not literally Moore’s last lecture, but was a part of the University Activities Organization’s and the Mortar Board’s annual Last Lecture series, which is now in its third year. The event is an opportunity for students and staff to nominate a professor to share his or her acquired knowledge and philosophies on life to students, Victoria Yates, director of Comedy and Speakers for UAO, said.’ The Last Lecture was based on a lecture given by Carnegie Mellon University Professor Randy Pausch after discovering he was dying of Pancreatic Cancer, Yates said.’ ‘ The event is primarily geared towards students who had the opportunity to nominate the professor they thought most fitting, said Terry Streetman, president of Mortar Board. Moore’s speech, ‘To Suck the Marrow Out of Life:’ Leading a Life of Consequence,’ inspired by a quote from Henry David Thoreau, was equal parts self-motivation and philosophy lecture, peppered with quotes from Pink Floyd. Moore warned students to be weary of anyone attempting to sell them their ideas. That being said, Moore confessed that his ideas were shamelessly stolen from previous thinkers, including Plato and Socrates. ‘ Students should make sure they are living lives of consequence rather than continuing in quiet desperation, Moore said. ‘Often you come to our University and we tell you, ‘Here’s your life. You need to pursue money or a career. You need to pursue prestige or fame or comfort.” Moore said. ‘I don’t think these are a life of consequence. I think these are fleeting.’ Moore also shared his personal three-fold path: Inspire the mind, train the body and feed the soul. At one point, Moore said everyone must decide what their tombstone is going to say.’ ‘I want my tombstone to say basically, ‘He thought,” Moore said. ‘That’s actually changed. Now I want a tombstone that says, ‘He taught people how to think.” Following the 40-minute lecture, Moore was awarded a plaque from Streetman granting him honorary membership into the Bowling Green chapter of the Mortar Board.