Clay club ceramic sale blooms in springtime

Springtime at the University brings an increase in the already-windy weather, blooming flowers and trees and the number of outdoor’ student activities. This spring ceramic artwork and pottery will be added to the season’s offerings as well. Beginning tomorrow, the Clay Club will be hosting its 13th Annual Spring Sale in room 1218 of the Fine Arts Center. The sale will feature a variety of handmade ceramic artwork and pottery from 20 student-artists, Ceramics Instructor Joe Pintz said. The purpose of the sale is to raise money for the Clay Club to sponsor visiting artists and fund field trips, with half of the money going to the students and the rest to the Clay Club, Pintz said.’ The Clay Club, which consists of intermediate and advanced Ceramics and Art Education majors, has three sales a year, including one at the Black Swamp Arts Festival. The sales are a good opportunity for students to learn how to organize and promote their work through publicity and make a living as an artist, Pintz said. The Clay Club earns between $1,200 and $1,500 through its Spring Sale, which is growing every year, Pintz said. ‘It’s a good opportunity to get practice in and see how the general public likes our work,’ Erik Zohn, who specializes in functional pottery and has participated in the last six sales, said. ‘It gives us a chance to get our work out to people who would not normally see it.” The sale offers almost anything that can be made from clay, including cups, bowls and teapots, Zohn said. It will continue through Saturday, and lasts from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. in the ceramics studio.’