Obama’s first 100 days a success

Last Wednesday, April 29, marked 100 days since that historic day when a man born to a white mother from Kansas and a black father from Kenya became the 44th President of the United States of America. In that time, we have seen our new president implement an ambitious (and expensive) economic plan to prevent Americans from feeling the brunt of a serious economic downturn while setting up the infrastructure America will need to continue leading in the increasingly competitive 21st century. He has begun troop withdrawal in Iraq but at a more conservative pace than he had suggested during the campaign. He has closed down the infamous Guantanamo Bay detention facility and taken steps towards creating a more transparent, efficient government. While some have questioned the wisdom of some of his policies (the massive government spending being the primary concern), one thing is clear, Barack Obama’s presidency will be as important to the direction of this country as any in recent history. Unlike others’ first 100 days in office, the 44th president’s have been anything but a honeymoon. Greeted by a credit crisis spiraling out of control, ongoing wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, and growing threats of instability in Iran and Pakistan, Obama has had little time to get comfortable with his new surroundings. The good news is it doesn’t seem like he’s needed it. His aggressive response to the credit crisis has appeared to stabilize (at least for now) a market that was so unpredictable it may as well have been a slot machine. According to a new AP survey, a majority of Americans now believe that America is heading in the right direction. Compare that with the 17 percent who thought so last October and we can surmise that, if nothing else, Obama has improved the spirits of a nation badly in need of a boost. On the foreign policy front, Obama has proven to have the dignity and diplomatic tact that his predecessor lacked. More importantly, he has shown to our nation’s friends that he will pay much more attention to their concerns and those of international organizations that were largely ignored by the Bush administration. To our enemies, he has demonstrated that he is open to listening, but will not be afraid to use American might if they fail to demonstrate a willingness to move towards conciliatory measures. He is wildly popular around the world and will look to use that political capital to promote American policies abroad and improve a relationship badly damaged by eight years of ‘we don’t need your help’ diplomacy. So after 100 days can we define what type of president he is? Republicans will point towards his massive spending programs and say that he is a ‘tax and spend’ liberal, but support his responsible withdrawal policy in Iraq. Democrats will say he is a pragmatic social engineer who will revive our nation and prepare it for the future, but criticize his healthcare plan as too conservative to truly meet the goal of providing all Americans with healthcare. At this point, it’s too early to put the president in a box-and maybe that’s just the way he wants it. Obama has answered the doubters who said he wouldn’t be ready for the job and has brought a leadership style to Washington that exudes confidence and efficiency. Said Obama about his first 100 days, ‘I am pleased with the progress we have made but I’m not satisfied … I look forward to working with the American people in all the 100 days to follow to make sure this country is what it can be.’ Only time will tell how Obama’s presidency will turn out, but so far at least, it looks like he’s got the country back on track.