USG approves hand sanitizer gifts for potential kiosk

The proposal to purchase hand sanitizers as free giveaways was approved last night at the Undergraduate Student Government meeting.

Chief of Staff Emily Ancinec proposed the idea for purchasing the free gifts, which will be ordered Nov. 15. Ancinec gave three different purchasing options and two different design options for the hand sanitizers, including use for the potential kiosk, distribution at the Health Center and for senators to give to students.

The members of USG voted and approved a purchase for 550 bottles at $1.08 a piece for a total of $644, plus $38.61 for shipping and a $50 setup fee. The bottles will include the old logo because they will be too small to picture the new seal.

The hand sanitizers did spark some debate, however.

‘We’re a unique organization, so we need to show that with our free giveaways,’ Ancinec said, disputing giving away pens, a common free gift choice.

Arts ‘amp; Sciences Senator Danielle McConnell added the point that buying 550 hand sanitizer bottles would only reach four percent of the undergraduate student body, questioning the plan’s efficiency.

State and National Liaison Eric Young assured members the idea behind the hand sanitizers is to ‘create buzz.’

Senator At-Large Elyse Faulk said she supported the idea of the hand sanitizers, and said she would like to see them ordered sooner rather than later because now is the time students are getting sick.

The purchase was approved with a vote of 22 yes and nine no.

Kiosk

The potential kiosk was brought up again, since the trial week was completed.

The members have been debating purchasing a portable kiosk specifically for USG that will be used in the Union to answer any questions from students.

Student Welfare Committee Chair Christopher Schiazza said that the trial run was a success, and said he would like to move forward with purchasing it. Other members said the price was still too steep, so Schiazza invited them to the committee meeting later that will discuss the other possible options.

‘I am more than willing to compromise,’ Schiazza said.

New Senators

USG named their two new senators they have been looking to gain for a couple weeks.

Jacqueline Mattmuller was sworn in as the Senator for the West Greek Unit, stepping down as Off-Campus Senator Sarah Shepherd’s proxy, and Adam Koons was named Senator of the College of Business.

Shuttle Fee

USG also wanted to encourage all students to vote on the shuttle fee, which will be on the University’s home page Monday and Tuesday.

The vote is for a possible $20 fee that will improve the shuttle system, while adding a downtown and late night route.

An informational meeting will be held Nov. 12 in Olscamp.

‘Stinky Tree’

In lighter news, Senator At-Large Andrew Fortlage brought up the idea to replace the ‘stinky tree’ found by Moseley Hall.

‘Everyone knows what tree I am talking about,’ Fortlage said, as he explained that he proposed ideas to replace it with another tree, but he was told the tree was an endangered species.

Fortlage said he would address the issue at a later date. ‘