Rudeness and poor work ethic the norm in college classrooms

When school first started, I noticed that students seemed very anxious to leave class and would pack up early or completely check out when there were 15 minutes left in class.

I figured this was due to students still adjusting to being in school or anticipating their next class because they were not used to their new schedules. Now that classes have been in session for almost a month, I have not noticed a decrease in this activity, but a severe increase.

I understand that students do not want to be in most of their classes. They would much rather be with friends or anywhere besides class. Yet this does not justify the actions I have witnessed in many classes. It is standard practice for students to whip out their phones, log on to Facebook or turn their attention from the teacher to the person sitting next to them after a meager 10 minutes in class. Not only is this highly distracting to students who are actually trying to learn, but it is a waste of their time and tuition.

The average cost per credit at Washington State University is $657. This means that each class a student takes costs about $1,971. The average student is taking anywhere from 12-15 credits, spending about $7,884 to $9,855 just on class alone every semester. This high cost does not seem to matter as students go to class just to complain about wanting to leave. If you do not want to be there, then do not go. It is simple. You might as well not be enrolled in college, allowing you to spend that money elsewhere.

This kind of behavior seems reminiscent of high school. Students could care less about class and counted down to the day they would be free from the grasp of the school system. Most were excited to begin college, move on with their lives and in some cases escape the high levels of immaturity that goes hand in hand with being in high school.

Yet somehow, being in college seems worse. Instead of being surrounded by people who want to further themselves in life, expand their education and prepare themselves for the next milestone, campus seems to be filled with people who just want to party, socialize and party some more. I expected this from college to some extent, but this is just ridiculous.

According to the American College Health Association, one in four college students suffer from some form of stress-induced depression. What I don’t understand is how this could be possible. To be considered ‘stressed,’ students have to be dealing with multiple things at once such as studying for one class while doing a project for another.

Yet from what I have witnessed, this does not seem to be a problem for the majority of the campus. I know there are students out there who actually care about their college experience and want to use this facility as it was intended. However, I’ve yet to be impressed by the work ethics of the students here. Perhaps it just happens to be only the classes I am involved in, though I highly doubt it.

Lethargic behavior is an epidemic most institutions face. While students complain the work load is too much and they can not possibly get everything done, conceivably this could be solved if students spent more time paying attention in class and less time having a staring contest with the clock.’