Student handbook goes digital

The University is saving around $10,000 by shifting the Student Handbook from print to online only.

In order to spread the word, thousands of bookmarks with the web address of the annually printed campus resource have been distributed all over main campus and Firelands, as well as word of mouth to faculty, staff and students.

Associate Dean of Students Michael Ginsburg said the transition has been on the University’s agenda for a couple of years and will bring many positive factors along with it.

The switch from print to online has instant financial benefits.

The past year’s handbook cost about $12,000 to produce, Ginsburg said. This year there is a dramatic difference, as the handbook will only cost the University around $1,577, including payment to the online company and printing of the marketing bookmarks.

‘We’re saving around $10,000.’ Ginsburg said. ‘It is a huge amount of money, and especially in these tough budget times it becomes money that can be spent on other valuable programs and needs.’

Kathleen LeRoy, the director of Student Affairs and budgets administration, said the University as a whole has been re-evaluating spending, and this switch is just one result.

‘It has caused us to look at what we want to keep spending on and what we can stop spending on,’ she said. ‘Printed pages are not nearly as important as doing things to engage students, especially as students now are part of the online generation.’

Although the financial perks are apparent, money was not the only reason to go online.

‘I think the biggest reason that we wanted to move online was to make the handbook more user-friendly for students,’ Ginsburg said. ‘It is now completely searchable and students can type in what they are looking for and instantly get references and links to click on.’

Searchability is an asset, since the handbook contains information that pertains to every student at the University.

The Student Handbook, as seen on the division of Student Affairs home page, contains information on five main areas: general information, public safety, student codes of conduct, community living standards and procedures specific to on-campus residential students. Each section relates to the rights and responsibilities of University students.

Another major factor in the decision was the environmental footprint that goes hand in hand with print materials.

On an estimate, Ginsburg said, the University printed 12,000 handbooks last year, which meant the use of over 960,000 pieces of paper.

‘When you think about the paper and the ink that goes into printing, environmentally this is a much more friendly way to go,’ Ginsburg said.

Just like with any major change, the pro’s and con’s must be looked at.

‘One concern is making sure that people know where the handbook is,’ Ginsburg said.

Currently, there are links to the handbook on the University’s home page, and if users type ‘student handbook’ in the Web site’s search bar, it will take them right there, Ginsburg said.

‘[Outside of the marketing campaign,] there has also been a big push with both RA staff and Greek house staff in helping on campus students know about this change,’ he said.

Senior Ryan Gerwin said marketing to both off-campus and returning students should be a priority.

‘You need to make sure students are aware of the switch, because a lot of us don’t see the advertising on campus compared to the students who live there,’ he said.

The Student Handbook can be found online at’ http://www.bgsu.edu/studenthandbook