Students may stay on campus over break for a price

Students looking for a place to stay over winter break may find what they are looking for at the University.

The University offers four different options for students choosing to stick around, said Troy Spikes, interim coordinator of conference and guest services.

According to the Residence Life Web site, Students can stay for the first three days of break, or come back three days early. They can also do both staying later and coming back early.

‘For the entire break, it is $506,’ Spikes said. ‘The other options are $69, if you do the 3 days after break begins and $69 if you do the three days before break ends. Then $138 if you do both of those, before and after.’

Sign-ups for winter break housing began on Dec. 2 and end at noon on Dec. 16.

‘You just sign up, as long as you have a BGSU ID number, you sign up and then we take it from there,’ he said.

Spikes said 214 students stayed during Thanksgiving break.

Spikes said he believes the price is determined by dividing the per semester cost in to a per day cost. According to the Web site, the cost is $23 per night. All charges are billed to the student’s bursar account.

Some students find this pricing to be too high.

‘I think it is extremely high for people who have no other choice but to stay, like some foreign students,’ said sophomore Chase Will. ‘They can’t just go home and come back for break, I think they should be sympathetic to them.’

Senior Joel Rospert said he found the price to be very expensive for the area.

‘It is pretty expensive, I think,’ Rospert said. ‘Well, for around here. If we were in California, it might be a little different.’

Rospert said he thinks the price should be lowered for everyone.

According to the Residence Life Web site, students who stay over break also have to change dorms, unless they live in Harshman Anderson/Bromfield, Kreischer, Founders or the Global Village. All other dorms will be closed over break.

The front desk will be closed during break and students are asked to be prepared to show their I.D. to police. For safety reasons, guests are not permitted in the buildings at any time, the Web site said.

Sophomore Daniel Evans said he finds the whole thing unfair.

‘I’m kind of glad I’m a commuter now,’ he said.