BGSU is a place to call home

As the sun begins to heat up the frozen tundra known as BGSU, I can’t help but realize how truly beautiful our campus really is. In the winter, it can be difficult to appreciate our university, with the wind blowing the tears out of our eyes and pushing us off the sidewalk.

It also may be difficult to appreciate our campus to have to walk from the Math Science building to Harshman in the pouring rain with no umbrella. But it can also be easy to love our campus, like when the first few days of warmth bring out the hammocks, the picnickers and the loud music bumping through the Greek village. While we don’t have to love our campus all 365 days a year, we have to take a second to appreciate the greatness of BG that we get to live in every day.

I seem to hear all the time that people don’t really like it here, and to be honest, that’s kind of crazy and hurts my heart just a little. Bowling Green sat on a list of about seven other schools I was pining over and struggling to decide over just which university I liked the most, or that I could picture myself going to. My college decision remains one of the hardest decisions I have ever had to make. It was so difficult that I spent months trying to decide. Obviously, the decision I made was to come to BGSU, because I fell in love so hard with BG that I couldn’t picture not coming here. So when I hear people say they are indifferent or don’t like it here, it hurts my heart because this University has so many great things to offer that often go overlooked.

Granted, I understand that BG was not everyone’s first choice, or maybe not a choice at all, but an only option. So, I can imagine that it may be difficult to fall in love with a school that your heart doesn’t belong to. However, there are tremendous things here that just take my breath away, and I could only hope that other people enjoy them as much as I do, like the new construction around Mosely Hall. The construction is gross, and it is no fun to hear the drone of machines hacking away at that building, but now that the new windows are put in you can really see the beauty of the building and admire the pillars on the side facing old campus. We are so fortunate to have several renovated, amazingly acquitted buildings that make up our campus. I see those things and fall in love, and only hope that others do the same.

While BG may not be your favorite school or favorite second home, it is definitely mine. And there are some really amazing things about BGSU that you will notice if you keep an eye out. You may not love everything about BG or the greatness that encompasses it, but you can at least have peace of mind knowing that we aren’t Toledo!

Reply to Bailey at