Master Teacher announced

2017 Winner

Dr. Andrew Gregory

This year’s winner of the Master Teacher Award has been announced. The Student Alumni Connection picks a professor from those nominated for the Master Teacher Award. The award, which has been at the University since 1982, is an honored tradition.

“It’s the only student-run, student-selected award for professors on campus, so it’s really important to us to honor professors,” Master Teacher Committee Chair Shelby Eng said. “We’re all undergraduate students, and so it’s a really great opportunity for us to acknowledge our professors… And then to give back to the University, really, by thanking the people who made it what it is.”

Eng said the process starts in late November or early December, and the final award is presented in a ceremony mid-April.

Students nominate professors they think have done “an awesome job” and right before winter break, SAC emails the nominated professors. Professors then have until the first week of spring semester to put in their application, which includes the professor’s CV, a list of courses taught and short answer questions. The Master Teacher committee then looks at the applications.

“We look at every single application… we look at their personality and how that shines through on their CV and their syllabus and through their short answer, and then we also look at their degrees obtained and that type of thing as well,” Eng said.

2017 Winner

Dr. Andrew Gregory

Associate Professor in Landscape Ecology

Director of Genetic Research In Applied Spatial Ecology Lab (GRASE) within the School of Earth Environment and Society

Ph.D. in Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, 2011

Master of Science: Conservation Biology, 2006

Bachelor of Science: Ecology and Biochemistry, 2003