Sony announces new games at Paris Games Week

Paris Games Week was last week, and Sony brought a lot of their big hitters to Paris.

There were a few big announcements told to the public, but other games and new trailers for games were announced, as well. PlayStation Experience is next month, so I assume that a lot of the stuff that would have been there moved to Paris Games Week.

The biggest game announced at the presentation was “Ghost of Tsushima,” a new IP from Sucker Punch, the developers of the Infamous franchise. “Ghost of Tsushima” is an open-world samurai game set in feudal Japan. The trailer didn’t show any game play, but a lot of different locations the game could take the player to. “Ghost of Tsushima” is coming exclusively to PlayStation 4. Sony did give the premise of the story for the game.

“The year is 1274. Samurai warriors are the legendary defenders of Japan — until the fearsome Mongol Empire invades the island of Tsushima, wreaking havoc and conquering the local population,” a Sony representative said. “As one of the last surviving samurai, you rise from the ashes to fight back. But, honorable tactics won’t lead you to victory. You must move beyond your samurai traditions to forge a new way of fighting — the way of the ghost — as you wage an unconventional war for the freedom of Japan.”

Two other new games announced were “Spelunky 2” and “Guacamelee! 2.” The original Spelunky is considered one of the best of the roguelike genre and was released on almost every platform available at the time. The announcement trailer didn’t give many     details for the game play, but it looks like the daughter of the main character in the original game is the new main character in “Spelunky 2.”

“Guacamelee! 2” is a direct sequel to the first “Guacamelee” game. The new game allows for four player local co-op, which is a change from the first game, and also has a couple new abilities, like Eagle Boost and Super Chicken. Eagle Boost is a hooking mechanic that lets players boost to new areas, and Super Chicken will give the chicken players transform into new abilities to play around with.

Sony said the premise of the game is that, “Seven years after defeating Carlos Calaca, Juan Aguacate is forced to don his luchador mask again to face a new threat – this time to the very fabric of space and time. Punch your way through a whole new Metroid-vania style world and try to save the Mexiverse!”

The other big announcement was a brand new trailer for “The Last of Us Part II.” The new trailer was very confusing, because it doesn’t contain either Joel or Ellie, the main characters of the original game. The two characters the trailer focused on are Yara and an unnamed female character. These two characters who are being tortured by a group, are then saved by one Lev, who seems to know Yara. The end of the trailer shows a horde of clickers, the series’ main enemy, running towards the three. It is unknown who the unnamed character is, but people have speculated that she is Ellie’s mother, due to some of her mannerisms that appear in the trailer. The trailer doesn’t give any more information on Joel and Ellie, nor any hint of a release date.

Three other games that were given new trailers were the “Shadow of the Colossus” remake, “Final Fantasy XV: Episode Ignis” and the “Not a Hero” DLC for “Resident Evil VII: Biohazard.” “Shadow of the Colossus” looks gorgeous. There are no new added colossi, but the game looks much better than before, the game feeling even more real. “Final Fantasy XV: Episode Ignis” is the newest downloadable content for “Final Fantasy XV,” focusing on Ignis’ story. It will tell players what happened to Ignis during his departure from the group. Lastly, “Not a Hero” focuses on Chris Redfield and his search for Lucas Baker, the last member of the Baker family from “Resident Evil VII: Biohazard.”

Paris Games Week had a lot of great announcements that were not expected. “Ghost of Tsushima” was a big and exciting surprise. “Spelunky 2” and “Guacamelee! 2” are indie games that look to be very good. Then, “The Last of Us Part II” seems to be going very hard into the harsh world that it wants to create, and that is something many games don’t always try. PlayStation 4 is looking to have a lot of good games coming to it to add to the great lineup the system already has.