University following up on sexual violence recommendations

Following the Trump Administration’s Title IX changes and the publishing of the recommendations from the Sexual Assault Task Force, changes are coming to Bowling Green in how sexual violence is handled.

College campuses can choose how they carry out sexual misconduct cases, and they now follow a question and answer document to make those choices, according to a U.S. News article.

Thomas Gibson, president of student affairs, said that at this point there will be no changes to how the University handles sexual misconduct cases. Until these guidelines are changed to stricter regulations, there is no need to change procedure.

But, the implementation team is still working to improve the culture surrounding sexual assault on campus, and the care that is given to victims of assault.

They are meeting to make the Task Force recommendations a reality. They are working within three categories, said Julie Broadwell, a member of the implementation team. “They are prevention, care and process.”

One big change that is coming is a new employment of University alum Jennifer McCary, who is being hired on as the vice president to student affairs and the Title IX coordinator. She will also oversee the Office of Multicultural Affairs, the TRIO program and The Women’s Center.

McCary is a “national expert on sexual violence prevention,” Gibson said. “She has been a part of national conversations about Title IX.”

“She will have responsibility for the Institution’s Title IX compliance obligations. As well as training and education and awareness efforts surround Title IX, reporting, as well as doing annual reviews and assessment of our efforts and making sure that we are being fair and equitable in our practices as well as ensuring that there is a high degree of care,” Gibson said.

She will start working for the University Jan. 1, 2018, Broadwell said.

Other future hires include a coordinator for case management which is currently posted for recruitment. This person will work very closely with McCary.

They will also do “intake,” which is the first initial meeting with students who may have been sexually assaulted to gather information and provide resources for students to utilize. These resources include University reporting, the Bowling Green Police and the Cocoon.

This person will also continue to do outreach with students, Gibson said.

Other new positions include an increase of deputy Title IX coordinators from five to 12.

These people will also do intake to be sure there is “always someone available” when a person wants to report or needs resources, Gibson said.  

Other suggestions from the Task Force that the implementation team are working on include a “sexual violence center.” This would be a place where students could report and go for resources.

Hanna Modene, student member of the implementation team, described the proposed center as “crucial” for students and survivors of sexual assault.

This center is still in the works, and the implementation team is considering location, staff and programs that would be offered.

A male engagement coordinator is also being discussed, though this position will be posted after the case manager position is filled.

The male engagement coordinator would possibly work closely with It’s On Us, a national sexual assault prevention initiative, to provide administrative support as well as increase male involvement. “Any time men are being engaged is a step in the right direction,” Gibson said.