Gender Awareness Week 2017

Sundays, 8 p.m.: Queer Night has moved from Ziggy’s to Howard’s Club H. Drag shows, with Vivian Vendetta Sinclair and Rosie D. Riveter, are featured, as well as Deja D. Delattaro and Infiniti Sinclaire.

Monday, Nov. 13, 5 p.m.: Paint the spirit rock with Queer/Trans Student Union to show support for trans and gender non-conforming students. Students who want to participate will meet at the rock.

Tuesday, Nov.14, 4 p.m.: QTSU is tie-dying shirts together on University Lawn. T-shirts are available for $5.

Thursday, Nov. 16, 7:30 p.m.: Self-defense workshop with Feminist Orgazization Raising Consciousness and Empowerment. QTSU and FORCE are working together to give information for students to feel safer on campus. This event is free for all. It will be held in Eppler Room 102 East.

Saturday, Nov. 18 2:45 p.m.- 2 a.m.: Leelah Alcorn Scholarship Benefit. A scholarship fundraising event is being held at Howard’s Club H to raise money for trans undergraduate students who may not receive money from their parents. It will be a variety show, including drag, comedy and live music. Cover is $5 and all proceeds will go to the fund. Leelah Alcorn was a trans teenage girl who came out to her parents, who then chose to put her through conversion therapy, a pseudoscientific practice of trying to change the sexual or gender orientation of a person. Leelah, feeling hopeless and abused by her parents, took her own life at 17. The scholarship is to benefit trans youth like her and to keep her name alive. This is the first year the event has been put on. “This is to provide a stepping stone for a trans student,” Neiko Alvarado, QTSU president, said.