Knitting for charity with Warm Up BG

Students with an interest in knitting or crocheting can put their skill to use by joining Warm Up BG and donating to those in need.

Warm Up BG is a student organization that gets together to knit and crochet and then donates their final products. The club meets Mondays from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. in the Women’s Center. Amelia Chapman is the president of Warm Up BG.

Warm Up BG vice president Victoria Kahrs said, “We often donate to homeless shelters, nursing homes, usually within the area. We donate to hospitals as well.”

She also said this group can count towards public service hours because they are making hats, scarves, gloves, blankets and other goods that can be used by people in need.

“People generally make what they want,” Kahrs said. “We knitted crochet squares for a quilt for Dance Marathon last year. Though, we encourage hats and scarves. We are considering knitting for a fundraiser. We would knit or crochet various projects that show BG spirit and raffle them off in the Union. The idea is still being talked about.”

Even people who have absolutely no experience knitting or crocheting can go to meetings.     Members with more experience knitting or crocheting can teach people who may not have much experience. They also provide needles and yarn for anyone who needs it. Kahrs said the yarn was donated to them.

Kahrs said Warm Up BG typically gets between five and six participants and they always welcome more.

Brooke Strohscher has been to two meetings so far. She is a first year on campus and discovered Warm Up BG through Campus Fest. She likes that Warm Up BG gives her time to set aside to knit or crochet.

Warm Up BG has been providing knitted goods to the needy for around 13 years.     

Kahrs has also been knitting for a long time. She started knitting when she was ten years old and her mother inspired her to start. She believes it is a creative way to keep herself busy and her projects make good, thoughtful gifts for friends and family.

She believes Warm Up BG is a great thing to do for the community, and it gets students involved with not only the University but the larger Bowling Green community as a whole.

The group is very low commitment and participants can decide which meetings they want to go to.