Facing the world’s fake end

In case you didn’t put it in your planners, the end of the world was scheduled for Sept. 23 at midnight. Research scientist David Meade, who has a master’s degree in statistics, used his training and biblical scripture to produce this date.

According to a Wikipedia list of end of the world predictions, I’ve lived through 41 possible apocalypses. The odds are in my favor. That being said, I have no problem criticizing self-proclaimed prophets.

Meade predicted that on Saturday, Sept. 23 “planet X/planet Nibiru” would collide with the earth. He cited recent earthquakes and storms as evidence for its arrival, and even wrote an entire book entitled “Planet X — The 2017 Arrival.”

Despite using the Bible for predictions, Meade managed to skip some crucial verses about the end times.

Mark 13:32

“But concerning that day or that hour, no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.”

Matthew 24:42

“Therefore, stay awake, for you do not know on what day your Lord is coming.”

There are other verses that may support some aspects of Meade’s theory, such as those about earthquakes and storms. However, these verses completely debunk any biblically based, world-ending prediction.

People like Meade, despite their “good” intentions, only prey on people’s fear. They fuel an industry which relies on fear: doomsday preparation.

Average people with actual good intentions, driven by manufactured fear, can spend thousands of dollars on survival gear. While the CDC recommends having an emergency bag, conspiracy theorists push unnecessary products on others.

Conspiracy theorist and InfoWars host, Alex Jones, has really taken advantage of this market. On his website, he sells survival kits of various sizes and prices. Obviously, people who are genuinely fearful of the end times will pay nearly $2,000 for an InfoWars approved portable solar panel (they even graciously marked it down from $2,995).

There are dozens of other products available on his website, and none of the products are cheap (unless you want some $20 anti-fluoride pills). When you consider the fact you’ll probably never use them, the items seem like an even bigger rip-off.  

In a real world-ending situation, I doubt you could get away with carting around a rolling suitcase-sized solar panel and the other supplies Jones recommends. He’s just making a killing on an unlikely scenario. The sad part is people’s fear is not fake, but made-up theories are.

After surviving my 41st apocalypse, I have found the end of the world is really losing its fear factor. There are vulnerable people who won’t ever see things in that light, but this could really turn into a “boy who cried wolf” situation.

I hope the world’s end doesn’t sneak up on us because of money-driven theorists. In the meantime, I’ll just focus on why “The Berenstein Bears” is spelled “Beranstein.”