Forum editor weighs in on Trump firings

Trump has fired more people in his first six months than Obama did throughout his entire presidency. The most recent member of the Trump Administraion to leave is Steve Bannon.

Every time I hear about another person being let go, I can’t help but laugh a little. Maybe a seemingly struggling White House shouldn’t be funny, but when I think about being fired by Donald Trump, I can’t help but laugh a little. I’d like to imagine White House workers have their own little bracket of people who might be fired next. Maybe they even place bets.

But then I think about the people actually being fired. It must be incredibly awkward to have your dismissal on the national news. It’s like in a romantic comedy, when the lead is trying to hide being fired from their significant other. In this case, there’s no hiding it. CNN will be conspiring about how salty your tears were as President Trump screamed, “You’re fired!”

It seems like, by the time Trump’s presidency is over, there will be enough people fired to fill a “Guess Who?” game board. Although, it might be hard to play. You could guess “middle-aged man in a suit” for most of the people who were fired or resigned.

The news coverage of each person being fired is honestly getting monotonous. It’s usually because the person in question said something ridiculous, or they have irreconcilable differences with Trump.

However, the entire situation leaves a lot to be speculated. I often wonder how many of Trump’s staff want to be fired. During the presidential election, most Republicans were reluctant to side with Trump.

For example, Ben Carson was vehemently against Trump’s morals, but ended up endorsing him when it looking like Trump was their only hope. I can’t imagine their opinions have changed much. So, what could be stopping them from opposing the president?

I suspect they are afraid to oppose Trump because so many people still support him. According to the most recent Gallup Poll, 78 percent of Republicans approve of Trump’s performance. If Republicans (especially those in office) were to oppose Trump, they would run the risk of not being re-elected. To me, that seems like a pretty lackluster reason to compromise your beliefs. But I’m not in the business of politics.

One might justify supporting Trump because of his leadership qualities. After all, his personality alone isn’t enough to impeach him. Trump’s presidency is still basically in its infancy, so there’s a lot of time for Trump to reinforce his peers’ opinions of him. Until then, just email me if you want to start a Trump Administration draft.