Wide array of University clubs offers students places to find friends and have fun

There are many ways new students, or returning students, can try and make new friends. Getting involved in different clubs and organizations on campus is one of those ways.

There are over 400 clubs and organizations at the University serving a wide array of interests. Some of these clubs are sport-related, like the dodgeball club, and others are completely different; like the Free Thinkers Society, which meets to share ideas and discuss various topics together.

Assistant Dean of Students Leah Howell has some ways students can get more involved.

“There are a couple of things that I would encourage, and first and foremost, from the moment that students step on campus there are events and activities the entire opening weekend,” Howell said. “In fact, I think we’re hosting programs pretty close to 24/7, so there are things to sort of meet all interests.”

Campus Fest is one of the focal points of getting involved on campus, as many of the clubs and organizations available for students to join will be there for the event. The event takes place Thursday, Aug. 31, from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Howell recommended looking at any clubs or organizations at Campus Fest that peak any interest.

“Sometimes people come in and they have a specific thing they’re looking for. I think it’s fine to look for those, but we have just over 400 recognized organizations right now on campus,” she said. “I think students would be surprised by the variety, so I encourage people to take time and peruse all the options.”

The University has a variety of clubs and organizations for students to choose from, but sometimes there isn’t a specific club available. When this happens, Howell said students are able to talk with the office of campus activities to create their own club.

“If there isn’t an organization that already exists that sort of ties to the mission that you sort of want to create, we work one-on-one with students to do that as long as there isn’t something they’re already doing,” she said.

The process of creating a club or organization can vary depending on how much the person wants that club or if it’s already been set up. It also depends on the amount of people interested.

“It really kind of depends on what the organization is, and at what point we begin to work with them,” Howell said. “The formal process is an online registration, a constitution [and] an advisor membership. Informally, depending on how quickly they recruit people and so forth, I generally say that an organization can be up and exist in just a few weeks, but in order to be stable and sustainable, I usually look at about a year.”

Some students on campus gave their opinions about clubs and organizations as well.

“I think it’s important for, especially the freshmen, to meet new people and find new interests that they didn’t know they had,” Senior Ross Combs, an environmental science major, said.

Taylor Houvig, a junior architecture major, agreed.

“It’s really important; especially because I feel like a lot of students come from far away, so it’s important to get a sense of family on campus and have those groups that you can always go to,” she said.

Being in clubs and organizations can be one of the most rewarding experiences in college. It allows students to find more people to be friends with, and get involved in activities they enjoy. All it takes is the right club.