Juicy J concert sparks concern

It’s hard to complain about a $5 concert, but Juicy J’s shows have a bit of a reputation for having “rough crowds.” Although this concert is only open to students, could the audience Juicy J draws in cause any issues?

To understand where this is coming from, let’s take a look back at Juicy J’s history as a performer.

Before Juicy J was making clubbing bops, he was a member of the rap group Three 6 Mafia. This group had a much darker vibe than J’s recent hits, as seen through their lyrics:

“The end of the world – I can see it comin’

So I pack my nine millimeters and I start huntin’

For these n—– that talk s—”

Three 6 Mafia went on to win an Academy Award for their 2005 song “It’s Hard Out Here for a Pimp.” In the following year, Three 6 Mafia settled a lawsuit that stemmed from a violent incident during their performance of “Let’s Start a Riot.”

[[inline_image_identifier d080ec6d239160f8f178325198aecf45.jpg]]

Fans began acting out the song’s lyrics, and a concert-goer was thrown to the floor, hit with a chair, stomped on and kicked in the face. He sustained several injuries from the spontaneous riot, including a fractured jaw.

The man attacked, who was 19 years old at the time, also claimed Three 6 Mafia failed to warn concert goers violence may occur. He also reported that both the performers and security did nothing to stop the incident.

While some described their lyrics as “volatile,” the group’s lawyers defended the incident under the First Amendment.

However, Juicy J was dismissed from this lawsuit, as he was not present during the show, the Associated Press reported.

By 2009, Juicy J parted ways with the group and started his solo endeavors. His new sound strayed away from Three 6 Mafia’s “hard” image, but reviews for Juicy J concerts report some violent incidents.

“Unless you want to pay $50 to hear a DJ and be pushed around in a room full of boys fighting for 5 hours, with no appearance from Juicy J until the last hour, then be my guest and go to this exhausting show.” – Anonymous (Ticketmaster)

“I waited about 4 hours standing in the crowd while being pushed and shoved and having drinks spilt on me…” – samijosell (Ticketmaster)

“The concert was terrible and everyone I was with thought so, there was constant mosh pits so I’m full of bruises, along with that Juicy didn’t even look like he cared about us at all, he didn’t even fake care, the people in the first part of the show were terrible as well.” – Anonymous (Ticketmaster)

[[inline_image_identifier 2bb609292bb1d019c76a0fb97dad3bac.jpg]]

While this just showcases several people with these opinions about Juicy J, there are hundreds of similar reviews. One of the main things that deters me from attending concerts is the huge crowds, so hearing this (especially as a 5-feet 1-inch girl) makes me want to skip this UAO opportunity.