Over 325 organizations promote student involvement at annual Campus Fest

On Thursday, even the cloudy skies and threat of rain did not keep away the thousands of students who came out to the Union Oval, Carillon Park and Old Campus to join any of the 325 organizations participating in this year’s Campus Fest.

With 270 on-campus organizations and 55 vendors and employers from the city of Bowling Green gathering to give out information about student involvement, there were plenty of ways for students to find their fit. 

Laura Saavedra, the Office of Campus Activities major events coordinator, explained the purpose of this event, which has been happening for over a decade. 

“We know that it is important for students to get connected to the University as soon as possible because this allows connections to develop and grow,” Saavedra said. 

If you did not get a chance to come to Campus Fest or are looking for more ways to get involved, the Office of Campus Activities is located in room 401 of the Bowen-Thompson Student Union where Saavedra and her team can provide assistance. 

“We are here to help you get connected, find your passion and have a rewarding experience here at BGSU,” she said.

New Organization: Circus Arts Club

[[inline_image_identifier b852d17f4667f3a6a517f7fad5d54c57.jpg]]

Contact Info: Amelia Chapman (President) [email protected]

Meetings: Once a week for 2 hours, private lessons available outside of regular meetings; Warm up followed by lessons

Why Get Involved?: Circus Arts Club teaches aerial arts, ground flow arts and contortion; no experience necessary. This organization seeks to bring what was once an exclusive art to the general public. Circus Arts Club provides a supportive culture and a chance to try something new while improving your fitness.

Off-Campus Organization: National Alliance on Mental Illness Wood County 

[[inline_image_identifier 3df66240d63a9789d99bc7d171f4446c.jpg]]

Contact Info: Terra Davenport (Director of Programs) [email protected]

Meetings: Free Peer-to-Peer classes Mondays at 5:30-7:30pm; registration available at http://www.namiwoodcounty.org/peer-peer-0

Why Get Involved?: NAMI Wood County provides opportunities to raise awareness about mental illness. The organization offers free support groups and classes to those in the Bowling Green community. Volunteer opportunities are also available through the organization.

Athletic Organization: BGSU Women’s Rugby

[[inline_image_identifier be9ef295efab0746f5a0e66d0baf7c65.jpg]]

Contact Info: Bailey Weiss (President) [email protected] 

Practices: Monday, Thursday, and Friday 5-7pm at College Park Field 

Why Get Involved?: Women’s Rugby offers an opportunity to learn the fastest growing sport in America; no experience necessary. The rugby team provides a welcoming environment to learn something new, make friends and get in shape while traveling to play in games and tournaments.

Major-Related Organization: National Student Speech Language Hearing Association

[[inline_image_identifier 203a9c478c0b66619537574cb6a1fca8.jpg]]

Contact Info: Tarynn Clune (President) [email protected]

Meetings: Usually Thursdays 7-8pm in room 219 of Olscamp; Announcements followed by speakers; professional development and graduate school preparation

Why Get Involved?: NSSLHA provides information, professional and personal development and volunteer opportunities concerning Communication Sciences and Disorders. This organization provides opportunities to meet other students interested in Speech-Language Pathology or other related majors as well as professionals in those fields.