Being outside can benefit all

This past weekend was unseasonably warm for January. On Saturday it hit almost 60 degrees outside. Rather than staying inside on a beautiful weekend day I decided to visit the Oak Opening Metro park to do a little walking and exploring. I’m urging you to take more opportunities to do the same. 

Getting out into the fresh air and into the environment is great for your health, and I have a hunch that it could be better for the Earth. First of all, spending time outside often means that you are engaging in some level of physical activity, even if that activity is light walking. We are living in a world where we spend the majority of our time sitting down working, surfing the Internet and using social media to keep in touch with our friends. It is easy to get into the habit of a sedentary lifestyle, but this isn’t healthy for our bodies. We need to be moving around and using our muscles.

Within the last few years we’ve all heard that “sitting is the new smoking,” but should we be surprised? We know that activity is good for us. That’s why we make resolutions every year to be more active. Getting out into the environment and simply walking around is a great way to move your body while experiencing the world outside of your computer screens. 

Speaking of computer screens, being in the environment can also help you relax. Between the emails and notifications, maintaining an online presence can be exhausting and stressful. 

From the second we wake up to the moment we fall asleep, social media is literally lighting up our phones. Being out in the environment can help you take time away from these distractions and experience the world outside of the one inside your pocket. 

Taking time to breathe in the fresh air, even if it is for just a half hour walk around the park, can clear your head and make your day more fulfilling. Ultimately, taking a break for even a few minutes outside may improve your mental well-being.

Finally, I have a suspicion that if more people spent time in the environment they would be more willing to protect that environment. Someone who is spending a day or two per week running through a park is much more likely to care if something were to happen to that outdoor space. 

The environment is all around us yet we continue to take it for granted, but maybe that is because we aren’t really taking the time to see it and use it directly. Getting outside and using our park systems is one way that we can educate ourselves about the world around us. 

Oak Openings has many signs telling people about the unique environments and the strange occurrences of white pine stands throughout the park. Other parks have wonderful scenery and educate the public about those views. The world outside our doors has so much to offer, but if we don’t spend time out in it we won’t know what we are missing when it’s gone. 

So I’m challenging all of you readers to take a moment and get outside, even if it’s only for a quick ten-minute walk around a local park. If you want to really be challenged leave your phone in your pocket and just look at the world around you. You might be surprised by how much you’re missing. 

Reply to Caitlin at