Vocal Jazz Choir to perform finals downtown

The University music programs offers many different majors and specializations, but the Vocal Jazz Ensemble can help students in many ways for their major, or future careers.

The ensemble, made up of 12 students, meets for class every Tuesday and Thursday, where they learn new music, perform it and receive feedback.

Finals are coming up for everybody, but for Jazz Choir students, their final is a solo performed at Bar 149. Students get to choose their own solo, and like with other pieces, they perform them in class to get some constructive criticism.

John Hanson, a music education minor, is doing “Do Nothing ‘Til You Hear from Me” by Duke Ellington for his solo.

“A couple years ago we sang it in jazz choir, and I really liked it a lot. There were really good harmonies and it’s a really good piece. I just really wanted to sing it, and so I did,” he said.

He feels that his involvement in jazz choir has influenced his college career.

“It’s probably the most challenging style of singing I’ve personally done. It’s got all kinds of intricacies; the chords are very strange, lots of cool things happening. It’s very applicable to somebody who is in music education… It’s really important while you’re teaching kids to be able to hear their mess-ups and when you’re sight-reading music and even after you’ve known it for a while to see where they messed up,” Hanson said.

Bryce Absher is also in jazz choir and is doing “My Way” by Frank Sinatra.

“I chose that solo because, not only is that the song I auditioned with, but it’s always been a good, personal heartfelt song to me. Most of the songs that I do I always put my own little spin on it, so ‘doing everything my way’ just kind of felt right,” he said.

Absher is composing music for the jazz choir, and he hopes to continue working with jazz choirs into his adult life. It is also something that has helped his expand his skill set.

“Most of Bowling Green’s music program is focused on classical music, so it just gives a whole new genre to explore techniques with,” he said. “So it’s broadening my range and also my knowledge of jazz repertoire.”

The Jazz Choir show will be on Dec. 13 from 8:30 p.m. to 11 p.m.